Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Second That Sentiment

I just saw a story over at SF Signal about the making of another Indiana Jones movie. SF Signal titled their post It's Time for Indy to Hang Up His Hat, For Good and all I can say is I emphatically agree! From the article referenced by SF Signal... While on the rounds for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Shia LaBeouf spoke to the BBC about his future films, and he mentioned that Indiana Jones 5 now has a story lined out courtesy of Steven Spielberg. “Steven [Spielberg] just said that he cracked the story on it before I left and I think they’re gearing that up” Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull made a huge $786.6 million worldwide, so there is definitely people out there who would be up for another crack of the whip. At the end of Crystal Skull there was a scene which hinted that the torch could be handed over to Shia, however Ford picked up the hat at the last minute which suggested he hasn’t quite finished yet. Oh hell no. Can't Mr. Spielberg understand that we want to remember Indiana Jones in a good way? I never reviewed "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and I think that's because it was so disappointing. It wasn't that Harrison Ford had gotten older, though he has. It wasn't even the ridiculous plot. It's that they picked Shia LeBeouf to replace Indy. I mean..I just... I can't... Nothing against LeBeouf, but come on, he's no Indy. Not even close. I'm not trying to just take shots at LeBeouf, but he's all wrong for the role and I don't know if he can be made right for it. Sometimes things are best just left alone. George Lucas took something away from the "Star Wars" universe when he did his latest trilogy (and subjected us to Jar Jar Binks) so I'm throwing out my plea to Steven Spielberg, just as SF Signal did, please, stop now. While we have a chance to remember Indy the way he is supposed to be. No more older Indy, and seriously, no more LeBeouf.

10 comments:

Layladawna said...

I wouldn't mind seeing another Indiana Jones movie. I love Harrison Ford and the last one was hilarious. But I agree about LeBeouf; I just can’t accept him as the new Indi, that’s just wrong.

SQT said...

I really hate to be a jerk about it.. But if they were to recast LeBeouf, I'd be a lot more supportive of a new movie.

Pissenlit said...

I'm of the opinion they should've stopped after the first 3 movies. *sigh*

SciFiGuy said...

If we are taking votes I would have to agree. Indy goes to the old folks home. The last picture was embarassing.

Cassandra Jade said...

I am with you. The new star wars doesn't even count as star wars (that way I can still call myself a fan). The new Indy movie (crystal skull) was mindnumbingly terrible. Swinging through trees, Cate Blanchett's accent, the boring, lacklustre opening... come on. It doesn't amtter how much money something makes, have a little dignity and realise, it had its day and now it should sit back and take its place as a classic. Leave it alone.

DesLily said...

I could watch Harrison as Indy even at this age.. but LeBeouf was not right for the son part at all !!

Charles Gramlich said...

It was pretty clear in the last one they were planning on handing the reins over to the kid. I won't be seeing any more Indy movies myself.

JG said...

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, and while I'm the only person in America who liked the new movie, I'm ready to say goodbye. I love Shia, but you just can't replace Indy. This isn't Jack Ryan or Gidget.

Karen said...

I still haven't seen the one with Shia.

Ang said...

Now come on. If Professor X can be awesome rolling around in a wheel chair, Indy can be too.