Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"The Ninth Avatar" by Todd Newton

Today’s book shout out and announcement is a slightly different than the ones I have done over the nearly a year of doing the reviewer gig. I am for the first time to announce the release of a self-published novel, something you probably have sensed, seeing the cover is not your usual glossy big publisher production. Also please don’t run from this post as if it will transmit some sort of brain disease. There has been a lot of bias and disdainful attitude towards self published books, which in its roots is understandable and I can relate to. I have the burnt fingers as proof of that, but before we condemn all self published books as crap and waste of money, let us remind ourselves that not every book published the traditional way has contributed to the excellence of literature and that gems can be found anywhere, plus self publishing has come to stay, so we might as hell give it a chance. Small rant aside I shall now present “The Ninth Avatar” by Todd Newton.
“The Ninth Avatar”, Todd Newton's debut novel, is an epic fantasy about Starka, an incest-accused outcast girl who receives a disturbing prophecy. She seeks the courage to become the leader of her entire faith while those she meets along the way battle to save the world. As the girl travels through warring nations, Starka meets sorcerers and warriors alike who aid her in the fight against the evil Carrion and their leader.
The book is available to purchase through CreateSpace.com and on Amazon.com. A free podcast version will also be release via Podiobooks.com in the coming weeks. You can email the author (initialdraft@gmail.com) to inquire about a signed copy with free shipping!

9 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It sounds really good.

Mishel said...

I agree, this does sound really good. I'd definitely give it a chance. And I do like the cover 8)

T.D. Newton said...

Thanks very much to both of you. An excerpt should be showing up on Fantasy Debut sometime soon, and there's also a download sample available on my blog in PDF format.

Direct link here.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds interesting. I'll look for some more info on it. Check out the link.

ShadowFalcon said...

I like the title and the cover, story sounds good, I'll be downloading that PDF. Thanks for the headsup

I think self publishing is a brave step and a lot more great books will come out of it as traditional publishing becomes more and more difficult to break into every day

daydream said...

ShadowFalcon: Very true. Even though self pub books will have their bad books, I think that a lot more untypical un-mainstream or new will emerge, which won't be deemed by the industry much.

T.D. Newton said...

You'd be surprised how hard it is to get attention like this for SP books... it's an uphill battle, I tell you.

SQT said...

Todd

I didn't realize this was *you* until you commented. I'm glad Daydream featured your book. I should at least offer a list of self-published works for people to check out. It is tough though... I get a lot of requests for reviews and I don't have time for the ones from the mainstream publishers. Some self-published stuff has real quality-- but not all unfortunately. It's a tough call. I do reviews for the Sacramento Book Review now and they have sponsored book reviews for self-published authors. I don't know what they charge, but you should look into it. You could get some attention for your book.

T.D. Newton said...

Thanks SQT, I will definitely check out the link.

It's been tough, not only as a newbie to the Author game but also a self-published author, to find the least-intrusive ways to ask for (and get) attention. I'm no salesman, so even people I work with on a daily basis were very shocked to find out that not only do I write but I had written an entire book! (Imagine their surprise when I tell them I've actually completed two...)

Ask daydream, I didn't even request that he review my book. I've been doing so much reading lately, blogs I mean, as well as "between the lines," and realized it takes a very honest and less pushy approach when you're self-published. It's been a HUGE learning experience for me.