Friday, April 10, 2009

Falling Out

After leaving Megatron, that town built around the undetonated nuclear bomb, I headed for downtown D.C. Not much was left of the old city. The Washington Monument still stood (a miracle, if you ask me) and so did parts of some of the old museums. But travel there was dangerous thanks to the presence of super-mutants and the disgusting centaurs who are their watch dogs. Still, I had to find the broadcasting center and speak to Three Dog, that voice of freedom. If anyone would know where my father was, it was him. Yeah. I'm a nerd. And nothing makes one nerdier than role play games. I should have written about this game a long time ago; it's been out since late last year, but better late than never. What game am I talking about? My XBOX360 version of FALLOUT 3. Put out by Bethesda, the same people who gave us the incredible Morrowind: Oblivion, Fallout is a sci-fan's dream, if that sci-fi fan dreams of playing in an post-apocalyptic world where mutants and raiders make traveling cross country a suicidal romp. Fallout 3 isn't just a gorgeous game, it's an addictive and immersive game. It's the sort of game you jump into and don't return from for a long time. "Okay, just a few more kills and I'll quit. After I first barter for more ammunition, that is. Then, I'll quit. Maybe. Okay, a few more kills, and then just a trip to the clinic and I'll quit." Warcraft is addictive, but Warcraft, for all its freedom, lacks the pure story that is the genius of Fallout. As a young survivor in search of your father, a scientist seeking to save humanity from itself, you start cheering for each hard-fought victory, for each raider downed, for each green skinned mutant killed. And as you become more powerful, you discover that someone has sent mercenaries after you. Someone with a nefarious scheme of his own. This is a deep game. Very deep. And just in case you start to think you might finish it and restart your life outside the cyber world, XBOX LIVE has two downloads for you; additional scenarios. One a battle for Alaska (I wonder what Sarah's mutated into) and the other a battle for Pittsburgh. Come on...this is the sort of stuff that makes me want to erect a statue to John Agar.

5 comments:

SQT said...

Megatron? They named the town after the leader of the Decepticons?

Jayf said...

The town is MegaTON, alluding to the rather large bomb in the middle of town that didn't detonate.
Great post - love this game, and I continue to play, search, and repair my weapons as a wanderer of the wastelands..

SQT said...

Ahhhh, I get it now. Can you tell I'm not a gamer?

Stewart Sternberg said...

Join us. Come to the dark side, SQT. Play Fallout. At least play Resident Evil 5.

I'm back, and I promise to start doing at least one gaming review every other week. Why? Because, dammit...you all need it.

Karen said...

I'm more of fighting game fan. The new Mortal Kombat vs. DC Comics is really fun. But I do enjoy Assassin's Creed because of the graphics and storyline. This one seems like it might be good.