Thursday, March 12, 2009

Iron Man 2 to Star Mickey Rourke & Scarlett Johansson

I have nothing but love for "Iron Man," which came in second only to "The Dark Knight" on my list of movie favorites last year. So it is with love that I observe that the "Iron Man" franchise seems to be a home for rehabilitated actors. That said, I'm kind of excited to see Mickey cast in the movie and I look forward to see what he brings to the role. ~From Hollywood.com Although reports say Marvel would not confirm Rourke's involvement yesterday, it is said that he'll play Whiplash, a character that includes elements from that comic book villain and Crimson Dynamo, another Russian baddie. Scarlett Johansson has also signed on to play Black Widow, a Soviet spy that has appeared all over Marvel Comics as an ally and sometimes nemesis to Spiderman, Daredevil and Iron Man. I'm not sure how Black Widow will be portrayed in the new "Iron Man," but the casting of Johansson suggests a femme fatale angle. I'm just happy to see another "Iron Man" being made. Here's hoping it's a good as the first one.

13 comments:

furiousBall said...

niiice, looking forward to this as well

daydream said...

Why Scarlet?? She is so dead in the face. Otherwise I think it will be interesting.

SQT said...

Daydream

The only thing I can think of is sex appeal. But the first movie was very good so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. That may change when I see the previews though...

T.D. Newton said...

I love Scarlet in certain things, but I much prefer Jessica Biel.

Cheers to the first Iron Man, it certainly did not suck (looking at you, Fantastic Four) but the cliché "plot twist" threatened its greatness for a moment. The method of defeating the villain redeemed everything, though.

I'm excited. Maybe I'll even see this one in the theater.

Karen said...

I would have preffered one "bad guy" (or gal) instead of two but I hope it works. The first one was great!

SQT said...

Karen

I guess The Black Widow character kind of flip-flops from bad to good in the comics so she might not be cast as a villain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will be as well written as the first.

Jocelyn said...

I'm just excited to see Mickey in anything. He's such a loose cannon, in every way.

carolsnotebook said...

I still haven't gotten around to seeing the first one yet.

Charles Gramlich said...

As long as they keep using Black Sabbath's Iron man as the theme song.

SQT said...

Jocelyn

That's what makes him so fun! I was so hoping he'd win the Oscar just so I could hear the speech.

Carol

If you like action movies you should like this one. It's better than average.

Charles

I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Steve Malley said...

SQT, I like this 'benefit of doubt' you speak of. It goes against my natural Nerdish tendency to wring my hands at the thought of such an exciting role being taken by someone who's entire range of emotion seems to consist of licking her lips.

I shall follow your example and keep the faith until previews screen...

Cynnie said...

I LOVE iron man ..I really liked it as a comic book and then when Robert Downey Jr played him..
OMG perfection.

Im not a huge lover of the Scarlett J..
but I have high hopes

coffee maker said...

Mickey Roarke has the evil villain look down pretty good without even trying