Monday, February 02, 2009

Meme: 20 Men I Admire

I've been tagged by the lovely Smirking Revenge to list the 20 men I admire. That's harder than it sounds. First, I lost half of this post -- as I described in my last post-- and this is a bugger of a list to put together and then lose. It was my own stupid fault, but I like to blame Blogger if I can. Secondly, I'm not sure how to define "admire." Do I have to like their politics? Or is it okay to like them just because they look good with their shirts off? I guess the definition gets to be up to me. So, I'm going with the more-or-less lowbrow route. I like to keep things light around here so I'm sticking with my normal mode as far as that goes. As the title of this post suggests, this is the 20 Men I Admire Meme. The rules are: 1. Link back to the blog that tagged you (Check) 2. Link back to the originator of this meme, which is The Dino Lounge. 3. Create your own list of 20 men that you admire and post them on your blog. 4. Tag 5 other people to participate in this meme. (So gonna break this rule) 5. If you like, please let The Dino Lounge know that you've participated in this meme so he can check out your posting and comment on it. Hugh Jackman In keeping with my intent to keep this as shallow as possible, I must list my long standing crush. How could I not? He's Wolverine for Pete's sake. Kurt Warner Never. Say. Die. Sure, his team didn't win the Super Bowl, but you cannot ever count this guy out. Bruce Lee He may have died while I was still very young, but he was a huge inspiration to me. I grew up watching his movies, bad dubbing and all, because I had 3 older brothers who idolized him. Funny how I should be the only one to get martial arts training (since '92), but I think I needed it more than my brothers. They think twice before tormenting me now. That doesn't mean they don't harass me, but they think about it first. Jason Statham This guy oozes cool. Mostly still known as the action guy, Statham still has the potential to be a credible actor. But even if he stays in the action arena, I'll still watch him-- even with his shirt on. Patrick Swayze Like I stated in an earlier post, I really admire how Swayze is handling his cancer diagnosis. He's an inspiration. Robert Downey Jr. An Academy Award nomination for "Tropic Thunder." Who else could have done that? And he's Tony Stark. Sean Connery The man still known as James Bond. All future Bonds will always be compared to Connery. And he's the only man I know who can make some seriously bad films and still keep going. He's that cool. Daniel Craig The new, definitive James Bond. He brought manliness back to the role and I love him for it. Harrison Ford Han Solo and Indiana Jones. Need I say more? Quentin Tarantino I debated a little on this pick because he's such and odd guy. But "Pulp Fiction" is brilliant. Bizarre at times, but still genius. "Kill Bill Vol I & II" are also on my list of favorites, so I have to include Tarantino. I can't begin to understand how his mind works, but I sure enjoy what he comes up with. Christopher Nolan Nolan is my hero simply because he saved Batman from the indignities of a Bat-suit with nipples. He made Batman adult again and unwound the goofiness that has been following character ever since Adam West donned the suit. I need to send Nolan a thank you card or something. Christian Bale Bale also deserves credit for making Batman cool again. Probably one of the most committed actors ever, he lost over 60 pounds to play a troubled insomniac in "The Machinist." Some have downplayed his portrayal of Batman against Heath Ledger's more flamboyant performance as The Joker, but I think Bale is so determined to get a character right that he'll step back and allow another actor to have the spotlight if it's right for the movie. I think he's one of the few actors today who truly qualifies as an artist. ((This may end up as a small "oops." I just heard the audio **explicit language** of Bale's profanity laden rant during the filming of "Terminator Salvation." Not very admirable. But then, celebrities are known for their diva attitudes and I can't be sure that anyone else on this list doesn't have a similar incident in their history. So I'll leave the list for now. But jeez Christian. Show a little class...) Heath Ledger Ledger's performance as The Joker really stayed with me after seeing the movie. It also made me incredibly sad that I would never see him play the role again thanks to his tragic death. There is nothing admirable in an untimely death but for such a short life he leaves behind a body of work that any actor would envy and I think that bears remembering. My husband Sean My husband is my own personal superhero. A stockbroker by day and a skateboarder by night. I don't care if other people find it strange. I think it's fantastic that he still has the guts and the energy to do what makes him happy. And after almost 14 years together he still revs my engine. Joel McHale As host of "The Soup" all McHale does is mock reality TV. I LOVE that. Johnny Depp You gotta love Johnny Depp. He could have easily settled for the pretty boy roles but he refused. Often teaming up with Tim Burton for such movies as "Edward Scissorhands," "Sleepy Hollow" and "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory," he is known for reinventing himself for virtually every role. Love him. Clint Eastwood Some of the first movies I ever saw in the movie theatre were Clint Eastwood films. I remember thinking "Every Which Way But Loose" was great. It wasn't great cinema, but to a young kid being introduced to Eastwood for the first time, it offered a hint of all the great movies I would get to enjoy later on. I have since developed a great appreciation for the Spaghetti Western and Dirty Harry. And he'll always be known as having one of the best one-liners ever: Go ahead, make my day... Humphrey Bogart I looooved Bogart when I was a kid. "Casablanca" was the first black and white movie I remember sitting down and really enjoying-- when you're a kid old doesn't equal good. After "Casablanca" came "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen." Great stuff. They don't make them like Bogie anymore. Don Cheadle I've been a big fan of Cheadle's ever since "Boogie Nights." What impresses me about him is that he can play all kinds of characters, from really menacing ("Out of Sight") to one of the guys ("Ocean's Eleven). So far he has been nominated for one Academy Award, for "Hotel Rwanda," but I suspect this fly-under-the-radar kind of actor will show up in the nominations again. Liam Neeson I just saw "Taken" and love that Neeson played the tough guy. 56 years old and he's still more convincing that most of the guys out there who would be considered in their prime. He can play the villain, "Batman Begins" and the good guy, "Rob Roy," and he'll always be cool. So that's my little list. Hopefully I reminded you of some guys you haven't thought of in awhile. I don't tend to pass on memes, but obviously you can choose to do this one if you'd like. Let me know if you do and I'll link back to you.

9 comments:

Rao said...

Ouch that is a hard list. I think as a Guy I would have a better chance at it strictly on the term Admire and not looks. Like Stan Lee. Come on who doesn't like Stan? Basically the father of Marvel. Who wouldn't admire that. Most of mine would be like that. Some of your choices would be similar to mine but for different reasons. Some the same. Great list.

SQT said...

Rao

Good point on Stan Lee. But like I said, totally shallow. Tarantino isn't a looker though.

daydream said...

I agree, whilst you know I admire these men, both for looks and for talent. I think there are quite a few men outside the movie industry that can be admired, but this is a matter of personal choice, plus admire pretty much is as vague as it gets. I understand how hard it is. I will most probably do it twice one with hot men I admire and one with with the others I admire for different reasons.

Rao said...

hehe Tarantino would be one of mine as well. The dude can direct, act, write, produce... He did some of my favorite CSI episodes. Pure genius. Liam has had some outstanding roles. Connery is BOND. Every man admires Bond. Also like you, Hugh Jackman is Wolverine! Who doesn't want freaking adamantium claws? I could easily have a man crush on Jason Statham. He DOES ooze cool. Transporter is one of my fav flicks of all the driving movies. You get the idea. Hmmm it seem if there in movies its admiring their characters not the actor themselves. Ok maybe it's admire the fact they got to play such cool characters. bahhh, I don't know. That's why I'd never do one of these lists. Well maybe I wouldn't.

DesLily said...

yes, you are shallow! LOL.. me too! great list! many on your list would be on mine.. hmmm, well in my MIND i'm young enough to choose them lol

SQT said...

Deslily

That's just it. I kid myself into thinking I'm in their league. Yeah right.

Well, my hubby is in my league and he's on the list. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Interesting list. I hardly ever think in terms of "admiring" another person. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm also not sure what the term means. I admire Eastwood's acting and directing skills, and I think he's a pretty decent guy. I admire Tiger Woods' ability in golf, although I know nothing about him as a person. I admire my brother Paul David quite a bit since he is so good at helping and taking care of my mom.

SQT said...

Charles

That was the dilemma. To be honest I don't like putting too much personal stuff on the blog-- like political views and such. So I deliberately keep it kind of shallow. I like this guy's movies... I like the way that guy looks... etc...

DeeDee Reinert said...

Great list... I would (personally, if it were my list, it's yours) have had almost the same except substitute Samuel Jackson for Christian Bale, Joe Manganiello for Kurt Warner, and Kurt Russell for Omar Epps. Other than that, pretty dead-on. I'm iffy on Tarantino too but for all the entertainment he's provided, yep. But I admire my husband most of all too :)