Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Little Halloween Tale

There has been a lot of Halloween flash fiction going around these days--horror fiction-- and I thought I'd try my hand at it. The season had arrived when the weather turned chill and moods darkened to match the gray skies. It seemed that the tumultuous storms overhead matched the mood of the people who viewed the lightning strikes just ahead of the thunder. Above the tumult voices boomed; offering promises of peace and prosperity. Election season was near. But it seemed the Gods were not happy. The skies didn't clear. Rather they kept roiling in anger and the lightning grew more fierce and the crash of thunder seemed to never end. The Gods hoped to overpower the booming voices but it was in vain. The ego of man could not be reined in. The Gods decided mankind should be punished for their sins. After all, no man could hope to replace a god; but the promises the candidates made were so grand that humility seemed beyond reach. The masses too enraptured to care. So the angry skies spread and enveloped the land; stopping time and preventing the sun from meeting the horizon. Mankind would have to live in arrogance forever; listening to the same rhetoric over and over until they went mad from the torment. Election day would never arrive. The End. **Shudder** Tell the truth. That scared you more than anything you ever read by Stephen King. Didn't it?

14 comments:

RD Williams said...

OMG!! That would be a fate worse than death!! Give me Black Riders from Mordor any day. LOL

furiousBall said...

stop it. now.

Charles Gramlich said...

Well that really crosses the line. We've had good natured tales of vampires and werewolves and that ilk, and here you had to go and spoil the pleasant mood by writing about something truly and ultimately horrific. I'm really starting to feel scared now.

*excellent. I'll link it up today*

laughingwolf said...

too freaky to contemplate! :O lol

methinks ye be meaning 'lightning' here, missy?

can't see the 'lightening' of the skies any time soon, what with all those gray clouds ;)

SQT said...

Rd

I know. The Black Riders aren't nearly as terrifying.

Furiousball

Scared you didn't I?

Charles

I tried to think of the scariest thing I could. I guess I succeeded.

Laughingwolf

Ooops. Um. It was late? I was overcome by the horror of what I just wrote?

L.A. Mitchell said...

"The masses too enraptured to care."

The scariest of all :O

Enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.

Virginia Lady said...

Very creepy, sounds very much like where I live. Scary, much more so than SK. :-)

Stewart Sternberg said...

I think you left out the part where pus would rain from the skies. Even though I am a political junkie...I need a time out.

SQT said...

Ewww. I avoid the topic of puss whenever possible.

I am totally in need of a break from politics.

Fab said...

Lol. If I were American, it'd scare me alright. I've got the impression this election is taking forever. But then again, I'm not familiar with how it goes in the US. (And I'd better shut up, my country didn't have a government for a year because of internal disputes...)

Steve Malley said...

Not since Orwell have I been so scared...

writtenwyrdd said...

Mwahahaha! That certainly is a horrible fate. I get so sick of political rhetoric! *runs, screaming in horror*

writtenwyrdd said...

oh yeah, what's tha told quote? Something about people deserving the government they elect?

Nepharia said...

Make it go away! Make it go away! (***sob***)