Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Have Seen the Way of the DVD

Funny how something someone else posted about a year or so ago comes up again. I got bored this last week. None of the shows I like to watch have started their new seasons yet and I decided I couldn't take any more political nonsense, so I finally got to a DVD I have had sitting on my shelf for over a year. Yep. I started watching "Heroes" and now I am hooked! Stewart Sternberg mentioned this very same show last year-- in the same context no less. I even remember commenting at the time that I hadn't had a chance to watch the show yet and I also remember that he recommended watching the show on DVD so as not to be left hanging week-to-week. That happens to be good and bad advice. The bad part of watching a show like "Heroes" on DVD is that it is really good, so I end up becoming obsessive about having to know what's going to happen next. What that means is that I end up watching at least 3 episodes in a row and the rest of my life gets put on hold. That might not be a big problem except that I discovered that Netflix has "Heroes" on it's instant play list; which means I can spend hours and hours watching the first two seasons all at once. My laundry will never get done. Well, that goes without saying, but still... Oh, and it gets better. We're painting the computer room this weekend, which means that I will be without a computer for about 2 days. 2 days without "Heroes?" How will I survive? I'm a little over half-way through the first season and I have a couple of observations. Hiro is my new favorite TV show character. He is beyond great. So well developed, sweet and altogether awesome. I can absolutely see why so many people rave about him. And Mohinder Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) is seriously gorgeous. I think I have a new name to add to the laminated list. So I hope you'll excuse me while I go back to my latest obsession. I should be able to finish just in time for the third season to begin...

10 comments:

Steve Malley said...

I'm a bit mad for The Wire, m'self...

Charles Gramlich said...

I haven't seen heroes. I'm sure I'd like it but it's just so hard to find time for TV. I'll have lots to watch when I retire.

SQT said...

Steve

I haven't watched The Wire, but I've heard good things about it.

Charles

That's the beauty of DVDs. They're there whenever you're ready for them.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I only made it halfway through the 1st seies. I thought it the slowest moving series ever.

SQT said...

Jean-luc

I have heard some people say that. I think it's less of a problem for me since I'm watching them all at once.

furiousBall said...

I will second the Wire, I'm midway through season 3 and I feel like an idiot for not watching it sooner.

Kate S said...

Yeah, the TV on DVD thing does suck you in, doesn't it? :)

I recently got The Dresden Files and have been watching a few episodes at a time. Not nearly as good as the book, but the guy playing him is pretty cute. ;)

Though not as cute as Mohinder... I hear ya, girl! :)

Liviania said...

One day the AV Library will have the first disc checked in when I'm renting things for the weekend.

Fab said...

Heroes is great! I had to get into it, cause I only caught the 3rd episode and had to figure out what was going on, but I love this show so much!

Anonymous said...

Season 2 isnt as good, sav eyour cash