Monday, August 25, 2008

Uh, I doubt it......but what the heck do I know?

For some reason there is this rumor floating around the net that Christopher Nolan wants Cher to play Catwoman in his next Batman movie. Cher? Apparently this story got started by The Daily Telegraph and they're printing it as if it's fact. Is the Telegraph a tabloid? Anyway, here's what they say... The 62-year-old singer and actress is reported to be in talks to play Catwoman opposite Christian Bale in the third Batman film from British director Christopher Nolan. The Oscar-winner will join a cast that includes Johnny Depp as The Riddler as she plays the whip-carrying burglar. The character has also been played by Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry. A studio executive said: "Cher is Nolan's first choice to play Catwoman. He wants to her to portray her like a vamp in her twilight years. "The new Catwoman will be the absolute opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry's purring creations." Filming of the new Batman instalment, provisionally entitled The Caped Crusader, is due to begin in Vancouver early next year. The only thing that makes this remotely believable is the "vamp in her twilight years" part. But I can't fully buy into the story because it doesn't go with the original Batman story in which Batman and Catwoman have a relationship of sorts. I just can't see Christian Bale and Cher having a romance. **shudder** Also, I haven't heard that Johnny Depp has actually signed on to play the Joker in any future Batman movies and I suspect it would be all over the place if it were true. I think this whole story is bogus. What do you think?

13 comments:

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Can't see it happening.

Don't want to see it happening!

Stewart Sternberg said...

Cher as Catwoman? Fans would rebel in droves. Unless. Unless there were two Catwomen. One Cat the aging vamp who comes out of retirement when a new catwoman makes an appearance.

SQT said...

Jon

I don't either.

Stu

I think everyone would totally rebel. I get the pass-the-baton theory that uses Cher, but still... not working for me. But I think this is a totally fake story anyway. But I'll keep an eye out to see if an "official" version pops up.

furiousBall said...

no no no

and

no

Charles Gramlich said...

take all of halle berry out of catwoman. Put back some earlier catwomen.

Hammer said...

Johnny depp riddler I can see.

Cher...She has more plastic than batman's suit.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Catwoman's mother I could understand!

Crunchy Carpets said...

as far as I know Nolan hasn't signed on for the 3rd movie yet anyway

Steve Malley said...

Dumber things have been done in Hollywood, but then, bigger fake stories have also been reported...

You finish reading Watchmen? Like it, or not so much?

SQT said...

Crunchy

I did read an interview with both Bale and Nolan and they said they'd be doing another one. I don't know if it's official but I doubt anyone is going to tell them no.

Steve

Yeah, I think this is a totally fake story.

I did finish Watchmen and I thought it was really good. Sometimes there were so many story threads going it was a little hard to follow. But wow. So well done.

The Curmudgeon said...

Haven't been a fan of the current Batman series. Way too dark. (I grew up with Adam West and I thought those were great.)

I did think it was cool to have the movie trailers parked a block away from my office when the most recent movie was filmed here in Chicago.

But we here in Flyover Country get geeked about that sort of thing.

But Cher?

If I ever fall asleep again, the nightmares will just wake me up.

Heather said...

I think it could work, but there must be a hundred other better candidates. This sounds kind of fakish news to me.

SQT, your take on WATCHMEN was my take on WATCHMEN. I loved it but will have to re-read it to get more of it.

RD Williams said...

I think maybe that one got started as a joke. I mean, now don't get me wrong, Cher was good in her day, and in the right type of part, but... I can't see her pulling it off, also I can't see her wanting to do it at this stage of her career, and I can't imagine that most of us would care for her in it.