Monday, August 11, 2008

I'd Apologize.....But I'm too Excited

I was feeling like a total slacker because I haven't posted on any of my blogs since the Olympics started. I am a total Olympic junkie. I can spend hours at a time in front of the TV watching people run around a track or swim laps. That excites me for some reason. And my patience was rewarded today. **Spoiler alert for those who may not have watched the prime time Olympics yet** The American men pulled off a phenomenal win today (yesterday? this morning?) in the men's 400-meter freestyle relay. I mean, it was fantastic. We've been hearing that there was no way the men could win the gold. Going into the race the commentators kept saying that the gold was going to go to France-- the team that had been boasting that they were going to "smash" the Americans. Ah, sweet sweet victory. For those of you who don't follow the Olympics, or don't care about the American performance, let me explain why this race is so significant. Michael Phelps, whom I'm sure everyone has been hearing about, is going for a record breaking 8 gold metals in this Olympics-- hoping to break Mark Spitz's 36-year-old record of 7 gold metals in one Olympics. This race had to be won to make that possible and no one thought it would happen. And it wouldn't have happened if not for a super-super-fast record breaking anchor leg by Jason Lezak. That's right. An Olympian you've probably never heard of. I certainly have never heard of Lezak, but I know his name now. And it wasn't like Phelps, or any of the other swimmers, was slow, it's just that Lezak was on fire. If anyone has ever earned the right to be on the cover of a box of Wheaties it's Lezak. Guess how much he beat the French swimmer by? Eight tenths one-hundreths of a second. If Phelps wins his 8 gold metals I think he owes Lezak a steak dinner. At least.

8 comments:

DesLily said...

i love the olympics!.. last night was certainly "one of those special moments"!!! I hope Phelps can go on to win those 8 medals !!!

Joe Sherry said...

Cullen Jones may have been a touch slow (giving up the lead in the third leg), but it's hard to say he was really *slow*.

That said Lezak was awesome and it was an unreal finish.

Carl V. said...

I hope he wins 8, that would be a very cool story for the Olympics. I enjoy them as well. It is a time to not only feel national pride but to also connect individual with athletes of all nations as you learn their stories, etc. I am always a sucker for the emotional angle of Olympic stories.

Fab said...

I'm not that into sports, but oddly enough, every 4 years I follow everything they show and am devastated when my country looses the chance to win a medal. Weird.

SQT said...

Deslily

I hope so too. It would be great to see history made.

Joe

Lezak was crazy fast. I hate to say any of the other guys didn't perform well but I don't know that any of them could have pulled off the last leg like Lezak did.

Carl

I'm a sucker for the personal stories too. I think that's why I like the Olympics so much.

Fab

Like I told Carl, it's the personal aspects that make the games special, not the sports. That's probably why you like them so much too...

Di Francis said...

I'm a junkie too. Thought that race was fabulous. And apparently three out of the four did their personal best time, which was cool. And then there's the women's waterpolo game . . . was that not awesome? I'm not getting writing done. Dammit. But at least I know I can come here and revel in the olympics. Keep posting. Even just to give us room to revel.

Steve Malley said...

If Phelps can figure out where his coach hid his seal skin, he'll be able to return to the sea forever!

(Bonus points if you can guess which creature I'm talking about)

SQT said...

How many points do I get if I guess it's a selkie?