Thursday, July 24, 2008

Does liking sci-fi mean I'm immature?

I already know I'm a child, that's not even a debatable point. But I wonder if my sci-fi lovin' tendencies have anything to do with it.

For example, I love Sky High. I don't know how many of you have seen it, but gosh darn it, it's the best. It kind of looks like a teenage-angst movie, but I love it enough that whenever it's on T.V. I must watch it. Kind of how my husband is with Adam Sandler movies. If you haven't seen it, it's about a school for kids with super powers who're divided up into groups of "heroes" and "sidekicks," and then taught to use their powers. Okay, that's a simplistic description, but I'm not doing a review here, I'm explaining that even though I'm 38, I still watch movies that feature teenagers-- at least ones that have a sci-fi theme. Is that wrong?

And my obsession with "The Dark Knight" only makes me question my maturity level a little more. It is a great movie-- very few people dispute that. But how many grown women do you suppose want to hunt down graphic novels about Batman after seeing the movie? Probably not many. How many grown women do you suppose went and saw "Hellboy 2" by themselves? I know I'm the only one who would raise their hand in our social circle.

I don't mind being a little childish-- most of the time. But I have to admit, I get a lot of strange looks if I mention my blog. I don't know if it's because I have a blog or it's theme though... I'm constantly surprised by how many people think it's odd that I have a blog in the first place. Sadly, I've learned not to bring it up in conversation because of the strange looks people give me.
But back to the sci-fi thing. After I went and saw "Hellboy" by myself, my husband thought that was quite the story to tell people. I guess he literally walked around telling co-workers about it because he thought it was so funny. Imagine what he'd do if I finally got a chance to go to a convention.

I knew when I was in high school that I was a little different than a lot of the other girls. I was lucky enough not to be an outcast, I blend in well. But none of my girl-friends had the slightest interest in sci-fi books or action packed movies. All they wanted to do was go see movies like "Mama Mia," (shudder). I've even noticed that some of my blog friends have drifted away from here because they don't really like sci-fi, they were just being polite by being good blog-buddies. And I appreciate that, I don't really get into the mommy blogs myself most of the time, so we're even.

But I wonder, just a tiny bit, if I seem a little odd to the other mommies. If I'm a little out-of-synch because I go see "Hellboy" by myself and have no real interest in shopping for designer purses. Is that what grown-ups are supposed to do? Shop for expensive purses?

I hope not.

10 comments:

DesLily said...

perish the thought! lol Hellboy is by far the better choice! hehe

furiousBall said...

i'd rather see Hellboy than look at designer purses too

Asara Dragoness said...

Heck no.

If you lose all your other mommy readers, you'll still have me! Sky High is a guilty pleasure of mine too, and not just because of Warren Peace (he's so dang cute). Hubby just shakes his head at me every time it's on TV because I get all excited. I even asked for it for Christmas last year!

People at work think I'm pretty odd too, I get a lot of "oh, you like that stuff" sort of comments a lot. Mostly I don't mind, because like you, I don't much care for the sort of things they like either.

There is nothing wrong with being immature, anyway, anyone who says so is just jealous that you have figured out how to be a grownup and still have fun like a kid. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I have not seen or even heard of Sky High, but I'm like you in the things I like so I will try to check it out.

I never did care much what folks thought of my interests. I realized long ago that a lot of people have very limited imaginations. I'd rather hang out with folks like you who have a wealth of it.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I haven't seen Sky High yet and I really wanted to when I saw it was coming out.

I may have to slip it into my Netflix Queue and see it now.

Funny how Sci Fi is considered an entertainment for children and yet it's often used as a vehicle to explore very adult and/or mature themes.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I don't know, I like designer purses more than I liked the most recent incarnation of Hellboy. I think I'd rather strut in high heels than see another installment of The Fantastic Four. That being said, I believe that there are people who reach within themselves and either embrace fantasy as escape, or they embrace it as hope. Me? I'm hoping it's hope.

Factor 10 said...

No no no.

I think in order to enjoy sci-fi you have to enjoy thinking outside the box,and be willing to embrace some broader concepts.
(Which is also how we end up just blinked at in conversational settings.)
I'm not saying that the other people in our lives aren't smart. I just think their brains were understimulated at some critical juncture--and the whole purse thing tragically grew into that void. :}

SQT said...

Aw Stu, you didn't like Hellboy 2? Damn. I thought you'd like the visuals.

Steve Malley said...

You're a chick into sci-fi and martial arts. That's hot.

Anybody doesn't agree, who gives a toss? If I'd spent my life acting the way I've been told I'm supposed to, I'd be sitting in a cube farm somewhere in the US wondering which was more toxic: my polyester necktie or the florescent lights.

You're true to yourself, and that's what's cool.

Melinda Seckington said...

Ooh, I love Sky High too!

I'm 24 now and I always feel as if I'm not grown-up yet. But I just realized... I don't think I'll ever feel grown-up and mature. I'm always going to be a geek (I'm Miss Geeky for a reason :D) and I'm never going to change that, just because I have to "grow up" at a certain stage.

I think it's part because of my mum. She's addicted to even more tv shows than I am, read a lot of romance fantasy and used to read a lot of comics. She actually had to sell all her comics, when she married my dad; I guess cause she felt she had to "grow up".

I feel lucky that I found someone who loves my geekiness and shares the same tastes as I do. I actually got him to watch all Buffy episodes and he even liked it all! Plus living now in London, I've found it's easier to find other just as geeky girls. I don't think I actually know someone who doesn't have a blog!

You're not alone: give me Hellboy over a designer purse anyday! Although if it was a purse designed by Guillermo del Toro....