Monday, June 09, 2008

Lord Save Me From the Panda

Is it me? Or is "Kung Fu Panda" everywhere?

I took my kids to the mall last week because my daughter needed a pair of shoes. Before we even made it inside my son was pointing and exclaiming, "look mom, "Kung Fu Panda!" I didn't think too much of it at this point because he was just pointing at a poster that was near the entrance.

Then we get inside the mall and I hear "look mom!" again and I see that every 20 feet, or so, there are "Kung Fu Panda" banners strung up along the aisle of the mall. All the way down.

Wow. How much does that cost to do nationwide?

Then I get to the kiosk to buy my daughter her shoes (she wanted Crocs) and I see a 10 foot tall panda standing right there in the middle of the mall.

What the heck?

Is there a giant panda standing in the middle of all the major malls across America?

Of course there is now a "Kung Fu Panda" in every Happy Meal you buy right now and I'm sure if I wanted to buy a "Kung Fu Panda" flavored ice cream at Baskin Robbins I probably could-- though that's purely speculation. There's a panda on the package of waffles I bought today too.

Where will the insanity end?

Naturally my kids want to see "Kung Fu Panda" in the theatre, which is the point of all this marketing madness. But I can't help but wonder if all the money they spent on marketing is worth it. Does the final profit justify the massive amount of hype?

I guess it must. Because now they're painting men green on American Gladiators to promote the new "Incredible Hulk" movie.

Personally I just find that disturbing.

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I really have a hard time laughing at anything Jack Black does. I just don't find him funny. And this movie looks incredibly lame to me. But given enough advertising none of that will matter an iota.

SQT said...

It's funny you say that Charles, I've always felt the same way. I guess he seems like he's trying too hard to me. I don't expect much from "Kung Fu Panda" but I doubt I can escape watching it.

furiousBall said...

the american gladiators thing doesn't bother me, i don't watch it. because well... it's american gladiators

SQT said...

FuriousB

I don't watch it either. But surely you've seen the ads?

david santos said...

Excellent work, my friend, excellent!
Happy day

Stewart Sternberg said...

I actually want to see Kung Fu Panda. I think it will be a fun time...nothing as magical in artistic value as last year's "Ratatouille".

I am an emormous fan of animated features. Maybe I need to do a posting about such classics as "Slipping Away".

Avery said...

The rampant over-hyping drives me insane. They showed trailers and commercials for that movie "Click" so many times that I get hives if anyone even mentions it, anymore.

I think there's a definite point where over-advertising turns around and bites the studios in the ass.