Thursday, May 15, 2008

To Be or Not to Be SUPER

This is another old post I put up ages ago but it was such a popular one I thought I'd pose the question again....
If you could be granted super powers, but had to use them to benefit mankind, would you accept?
yes no
Imagine you had the opportunity to be Superman, would you take it? Sure, you'd have the ability to fly, but what about all the baggage that goes with it? Say some omnicient being (think Q in the Star Trek TNG series) makes you this offer. I'll give you virtually unlimited power, but you must use it for the benefit of mankind. What do you choose? Me? I'm not sure how selfless I am, but then again, I wouldn't mind being able to fly. When contemplating this question a couple of things come to mind. We've recently discussed Superman's ability to procreate, so one must keep this in mind before deciding whether or not to accept. And even if you can have a relationship with a person who doesn't have super powers, just look at Spiderman. Talk about conflicted. Would it be worth it? I suppose on the plus side you'd have the admiration of most of the world, minus the super villians that would likely show up to challenge you. I mean, you'd probably be like a rock star times ten! If you're someone who isn't into long term relationships, this might be just the ticket. But remember the old tale about the monkey's paw, be careful what you wish for.

5 comments:

Avery said...

If the super powers meant I'd get a normal, healthy back again and would be eternally super-fit regardless of what I shoved in my mouth, I'd take the burden of being the world's caretaker.

SQT said...

I'd have to agree. It would be worth it just to avoid the aches and pain we wake up with every morning.

Though the movie "Hancock" isn't at the top of my "to see" list, I'll be interested to see how they handle this topic.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A good post with thought.

Nepharia said...

Well, let's be honest -- I wouldn't live in the middle of a metropolis like all the other superheros...not real sure why they do that. I mean, Superman can fly at the speed of light: why does he *need* to live where the action is?

I'd buy me an Island in Alaska and live up there -- then commute to work :D

Chris, The Book Swede said...

I've just written a review on a book that addresses this very question :) Good post!