Monday, May 05, 2008

"Iron Man" Kicks Butt

It seems absurd to spend any time discussing IRON MAN on this website. One must assume that anyone who visits here has this movie pencilled in as a "must see". However, for those of you who are considering passing this up, allow this to be a gentle reminder--DON'T MISS THIS FILM!!!!

"Iron Man" couldn't have been made before the last several years. The special effects needed to make this happen in a convincing manner just weren't present. Also, the life experience needed by Robert Downey Jr. hadn't yet settled. Downey Jr., a recovering addict, is perfect as Tony Stark, the billionaire arms manufacturer who has a life changing experience that makes him use his brain and the technology that brain makes possible for the good of mankind.

So what? What makes this superhero different? It's edgier than many of the other comic films, with Downey giving "cool" a new definition. His character carries this film. It's clearly about Stark. And the superhero thing is about taming technology. This makes the concept of being a superhero more accessible for all of us. If all we need to do to fly and bat about cars is step into a suit, then sign me up and get out of my way.

Another element of this film that is worth noting is its political overtones. The Middle East is a problem spot. Bang. That's it. I've been begging the producers of the James Bond films to deal with the terrorists realistically for some time. The closest they've come was in "Tomorrow Never Dies" when Bond shows up at an arms bazaar somewhere in Afghanistan. In "Iron Man" the Middle Eastern terrorists are front and center. One indelible image is Tony Stark, beaten, half-dead, tied to a chair as terrorists huddle around him, faces covered, with guns visible and ready. This image is resonant of all those horrible terrorist webcasts that were made of hostages who were beheaded. When Stark lashes out and wreaks his vengeance, it is a cathartic experience for everyone, left and right alike.

And for those of you who haven't heard already, I won't ruin the fanboy surprise....stay until after the credits.

9 comments:

furiousBall said...

ahh, this is good to hear about time we got a decent comic movie again!

Fab said...

Oh it is pencilled in as a must see, alright! No doubt about that!

Avery said...

I've got it penciled in for sure. I haven't been this excited about a movie in a long time.

Nepharia said...

You don't have to twist my arm...I already want to see it.

Charles Gramlich said...

Everyone is feeding my need for this one. I might just go see this at the regular movies.

Nate said...

Hey SQT, this is Nate Smith from "Nate is a Blog." My mustache is more powerful than ever and I just wanted to let you know that I am writing again! YAY! I'm not able to write on a daily basis, but I am managing to get to my blog weekly (sometimes more!). My new site is http://natesmithcomedy.com, but I will also be updating http://nateisablog.blogspot.com. And, if you've joined the twitter craze, you can get instant updates at http://twitter.com/natesmithcomedy.

GFS3 said...

I want to see it, but when you have two kids under the age of 4 getting to the movies ain't easy.

Carl V. said...

I loved it. It was so much fun and felt like a refreshing update to some of the comic book movie adaptation tropes that were wearing a bit thin. RDJ was perfectly cast and he stole the show, as it should have be. So much fun. I look forward to seeing it again this weekend with a friend who hasn't seen it yet.

SQT said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!