Monday, April 21, 2008

Thoughts on the Final Cylon

The new season of "Battlestar Galactica" has reinvigorated my interest in the series. The first two season kept me at the edge of my seat but season three fell a little flat to me. That said, it's still one of (if not the) best series on TV right now. All other remakes are beyond pale in comparison-- don't even get me started on "Knight Rider."

So the big question now is who is the final cylon?

I hope you all are up to date on the show. I've been really nice in not putting up spoilers after last season's finale and the revelation that Anders, Tigh, Tyrol and Tory are 4 of the 5 hidden cylons. And if you haven't seen last Friday's episode, I'll still be nice and not spoil the ending, but damn! That was a good one.

I have no particular insights on the final cylon but I have been pondering the subject like the geek I am and I couple things have occurred to me.

First, the balance between the male and female cylons is now tipped strongly to one side. With the addition of Tigh, Tyrol and Anders there are now 7 male models (the other men being Simon, Cavil, Leoben, and Doral). I don't know if this is significant but the women in BSG have been a force to be reckoned with throughout the series. Maybe they felt the need to have more male cylons since the female cylons have such presence-- Six is my favorite.

So if I were to follow my first thought I have to consider the fact that Starbuck is the final cylon. It would make it much easier to explain her apparent death and resurrection wouldn't it? I assume cylon technology would be able to duplicate Kara's raider and it wouldn't be that hard to put a duplicate in her place and send her back to the Galactica. The only hitch here so far is that the main cylon group we've been following don't know who the final 5 are and couldn't have done the switcheroo. Which leads me to think that the final 5 cylon models have to be somewhere out there, traveling in much the same way the original group of cylons are out in space. I can't imagine why the final 5 are separated from the first group, though I'm sure the show's creators will explain that. Well, I hope they will.

But I don't know if the creators of the show will do the obvious and make Starbuck the final cylon. If they don't, I'm still going to stick to my original assumption that it will be a woman. So that leaves Admiral Adama off of my particular list. I also assume it's a character we're familiar with. The only other female character that stands out is Laura Roslin. That would be an interesting twist wouldn't it? I remember in the first season there were all these prophesies that Roslin would lead the survivors to Earth, but none of them said she wasn't a cylon.

But again, I have to go back to my Starbuck-is-the-cylon theory. The last four to be revealed heard the music that triggered their awareness while going through a nebula, but Kara wasn't on the ship at the time-- of course we don't know where she was. But Roslin was on the ship and wasn't affected the same way as the other four were, so that could lead me to speculate that the last cylon wasn't with the Galactica fleet; leading me back to Starbuck. I haven't forgotten that the cylons kept Starbuck in captivity, but since they don't know the identities of the final five, that doesn't really mean anything.

So I guess that's where I'm at right now. I'm throwing my prediction out that the final cylon is Kara Thrace-- until the show has some new twist that makes me change my mind.

6 comments:

Joe Sherry said...

Starbuck is far too obvious to be the Final Cylon. It's the easy way out.

I'd go Roslin.

Or! And this is my flashingly brilliant insight...Tigh's dead wife...but that would mean there has to be a way for her to get back into the fleet since I assume there was not two copies in the fleet.

Dualla is boring. I don't like Cally (as a Cylon).

Not sure who else this leaves if we're only looking at characters we are very familiar with.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I agree with Joe...Starbuck is way too obvious. Of course, I thought the revelation of the four was rather absurd. I might have been okay with the revelation had the chief not been one of those involved.

I will say this, if the last one is any of the following, then it would be ridiculous: the president (even though she is pulling them away from earth), Adama,or Lee.

furiousBall said...

I want to make out with that lady a lot.

SQT said...

I know Starbuck is obvious, that's why I'm thinking it's her. Everyone is already convincing themselves it isn't.

SolShine7 said...

However they decide to play the last cyclon they definitely have me hooked. Just when I think I know who it's going to be I change my mind.

crunchycarpets said...

I don't think it is Starbuck...
I think her connection is more on a 'gods' side..she seems more 'holy' but then I thought the same about the Chief too him being the son of a prophet and all.

But I do think it is another 'faction' guiding Starbuck.

Would it not be the hybrid child..cept now we have TWO hybrids.

Chiefs and Boomers kids...hmmmmm

Ooooh this is too hard