Thursday, April 10, 2008

Friday Feature, Best Posts Revisited: Sid and Marty Krofft Made Me What I Am Today

A blue mutant? No, no that's not it. A fan of fantasy and sci-fi of course. You probably have to be a bit older, like me, to remember the shows put out by Sid and Marty Krofft. But if you are my age, chances are you not only remember, but devotedly watched them like I did. I mean, who could resist? Talking cars (before Knight Rider), bugs, sea monsters and whatever a Pufnstuf is. If I try to remember the Sid and Marty Krofft shows I watched as a kid, the first one that comes to mind is Land of the Lost. My husband and I still refer back to this show; usually it's something like, doesn't that guy look like Chaka? Land of the Lost was a show about a family, Rick, Will and Holly Marshall, who were rafting when a big earthquake hit and sucked through a dimensional portal into the Land of the Lost. I remember it kind of being a prehistoric place, populated by dinosaurs and cavemen like people-- including Chaka; though other people from other times in history were also brought there. Like all Krofft shows, the costumes are cheesy and the sets even worse. But who cares when you're a kid? I thought it was great. What could be better than reptilian/insectoid villains like the Sleestak? H.R. Pufnstuf is another Krofft show that has managed to become part of the vernacular of my life. Witches are not witches, they're Witchiepoo! This is another show where a human gets lost in another land. This time it's a boy named Jimmy who gets lost on Living Island, where everything is well....alive. H.R. Pufnstuf is a dragon who befriends Jimmy and tries to help him. Jimmy also has a talking flute named Freddie that Witchiepoo is always trying to steal; and if that doesn't sound good enough, then how about the fact that Witchipoo rode a broom with with a steering wheel named Vroom Broom? I don't make this stuff up folks. And then there's Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. Oh, I loved Sigmund. Instead of a human getting lost, this time it was the sea monster who ended up in the human world. Sigmund left his mean sea monster family and ends up being taken in by Johnny and his brother Scott. There isn't much more to it than that. Again, totally cheesy costumes, but I swear, my son looked just like Sigmund when he got his first tooth in. Another one of my favorites was the Bugaloos This one was about a bunch of buglike people who had wings and could fly. I think I liked this one because they always played music. The Bugaloos were a musical group that lived in Tranquility Forest who were always being chased by the jealous Benita Bizarre. Bizarre was jealous of the Bugaloos talent and popularity and was always trying to catch them. And lastly, there was Wonderbug a show about a talking Dune buggy. Basically a rip off of Speed Buggy, a cartoon about a talking Dune buggy. But who cares about these things when you're a kid? I didn't. I just liked the show because it had a talking car. I mean, who doesn't? A lot of these shows, when I look at them as an adult, make me think they were conceived over several bong hits. And lots of people apparently felt the same way since there was this whole controversy over the name H.R. Pufnstuf. Many thought Pufnstuf referred to "puffin' stuff" like pot. The Krofft brothers denied this, but really, who comes up with stuff like the Vroom Broom and the Sleestak's when they're sober? I'm just sayin' But oh, the happy, lost Saturday afternoons I spent watching these shows. How lucky was I that I didn't have a Mom who insisted I do something more constructive with my time? Thanks Mom.

6 comments:

billblais said...

I stumbled across your blog, saw the picture of Chaka, and couldn't get away. My wife and I laughed our way through your post, remembering it all, exactly as you described. As you say, rather disturbing to recount after all this time, but a treasure to remember.

And where have the 6-hours of cartoons and kids TV on Saturday mornings gone? Okay, there's the Cartoon Network, but for those of us without cable packages, there's almost nothing. A couple hours of educational animal shows were the last I knew that was on during Saturday mornings. It's a sad, sad loss.

And what about Creature Double Feature? Saturday Afternoon Kung Fu?

Anyway, thanks for the great trip down memory lane!

SQT said...

Billblais

Thanks for stopping by and saying such nice things.

Those Saturday mornings were golden to me. They usually started with cartoons and then moved into Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica.

Good times.

Charles Gramlich said...

The only one of these I watched was "Land of the Lost. I thought it was pretty good, but I'm a bit older than you so it was at the edge of that time for me.

Terry said...

Same here,

I saw the picture of Chaka and barely remember watching as a kid. Cool stuff.

Crunchy Carpets said...

My dh made the kids LOVE land of the lost..got the whole thing on CD!

WE didn't get them in the UK..just one show that the name now escapes me....

So sad that Wil Ferrell is doing the movie....

not the direction I would have taken.

Wes from Minnesota said...

I was looking for a google image search of the Bugaloos when I found your site. Yesterday I walked into my neighborhood hardware store and began to taunt one of the smart ass employees in his early 20's. I called him a BUGALOO. One of the 30+ year old females behind the counter exploded with laughter, while he didn't get it. Then the cashier woman and I spontaneously began to sing the lyrics and made him blush. Funny!

The Bugaloos
The Bugaloos
We're in the air and everywhere
Flying high, flying loose
Flying free as a summer breeze

The Bugaloos
The Bugaloos
We're climbing high and diving low
Through the sky, 'cross the land
Straight to you
With a helping hand
Ready with a helping hand

We're friends indeed
Should you need
If you ever need

The Bugaloos
The Bugaloos
We're in the air and everywhere
Flying high, flying loose
Flying free like we all could be....