Tuesday, April 15, 2008

*&^%$# Ebay

Okay. I had intended to write a "real" post today. Really. I put up a review on my book review blog earlier today and I was going to think of something to put up here. Stupidly, I didn't get on the computer until 10:00pm. You know how it is, I had to see who got kicked off "Dancing With the Stars." So then I get on the computer and see that I won an item on Ebay. Cool. There's a book I've been wanting and I got it cheap. So I figure I'll just pay for my book and then whip something up to put on my blog. Then I tried to log in to paypal. What a friggin' pain! We moved a few months ago and I have not been able to change my account information for anything. I tried to change the email and it asks for my bank account number to confirm that the account belongs to me. So I put in my bank account number and it says I haven't entered all the numbers. I check again. Nope, all there. But it won't take my info. Argggg! I spend a good half and hour trying to update my account and it just isn't happening. Fine. I decide to sign up a new account with the new email address. But paypal won't take that because I had added the new email to the old account. Grrrrrr! Then I remember I have another email address that we never use because it sucks; but it'll do if I can just get the stupid paypal account set up and current. So I enter all my info and hit enter but paypal won't take it because the address on the account doesn't match my credit card. WTF? Oh, for some reason the paypal site keeps changing my info to show an address I haven't lived at in 3 years and I have no idea why. This goes on for a good half and hour before I get the new account set up. Back and forth between the address, the expiration date on the debit card, my email and the password. Ugh, this is so not worth the bother. But I persevere and I got the darned account set up. Triumphantly I click on the "pay now" button to pay for my book and get on with the rest of my life and Ebay decides to tell me that the seller cannot accept payments from paypal at this time. Oh. Hell. No. So then I'm clicking all over the place trying to figure out how the heck I'm supposed to pay for this stupid book, that you know, maybe I don't really need, only to see that the seller won't accept any other methods. Bloody hell. For this I wasted an hour of my life? So anyway, no sci-fi post tonight. I'm feeling slightly frustrated and I haven't done anything but peck away at my computer keyboard for the last hour. I need some NyQuil.

8 comments:

DesLily said...

ahha.... now I know why I don't have paypal ! lol.. sorry didn't mean to laugh.. sure hope you get it straightened out!!!

furiousBall said...

I find it more frustrating that you admitted to watching "Dancing With the Stars."

Angela/SciFiChick said...

PayPal frustrates me too. Not too long ago, I noticed they started automatic payments to a company that I didn't okay. And they denied me a refund.

SQT said...

Deslily

Sometimes you gotta laugh at these things.

Furiousball

Not one of my prouder admissions. I got sucked in by the costumes. My inner child is delighted by all the glitter.

Angela

That's not right. I may have to avoid paypal from now on.

Charles Gramlich said...

I had a paypal account and finally dropped it for some of these reasons, but I still get emails spam from them all the time.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I would have been climbing the walls!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

At least you can be inspired to write about stories where the future is this unstopable dystopia of beurocracy ala Brazil.

The Curmudgeon said...

All of this frustration is probably due to someone's misguided idea of "identity protection."

I don't have PayPal but I have so many passwords for so many different sites running into and over each other across my synapses that I can't always remember how to tie my shoes.