Wednesday, April 02, 2008

70's-80's Remake Hell

I don't remember the 70's or the 80's as being the heyday of television, but somehow Hollywood has gotten the idea that we can't get enough. It's so bad that NBC co-chairman Marc Graboff made these comments about adding the remake of "Knight Rider" (a horrible horrible show) to the 2008-2009 schedule.

People need to escape. Ben [Silverman, NBC's head of programming]'s programming strategy is to find some shows where people can tune in and then mentally tune out. That's his directive, and I think you'll see that reflected in the programs. ~i09.

The horror!

So that's the reason we've been subjected to atrocities like Charlie's Angels and Starsky & Hutch? And the reason we will be soon subjected to Land of the Lost, Get Smart (although this ran mostly in the 60's and God help me, I may have a fliker of hope for this one) and rumored remakes of The A-Team and CHiPs (with Wilmer Valderrama as Ponch(!).

Have we learned nothing from The Dukes of Hazzard? Miami Vice?

In a way I blame Battlestar Galactica. BSG wasn't the first remake from the 70's or the 80's, but it proved you could take a show from those decades and turn it into something special. The problem is that no one has been able to duplicate that feat yet (unless I'm missing something). I think Bionic Woman is the only show that has at least attempted to be halfway decent, no surprise since it's also produced by BSG's David Eick, but it never gelled the way BSG did.

In fact, most of the remakes I have mentioned here have been awful. I'm still offended that Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson absolutely made a mockery of Starsky & Hutch, which I think was a pretty decent show. I mean, it's really nothing to me if CHiPs sucks because it was always hokey, but maybe we could have left The Incredible Hulk alone. But no, they've made another one-- a remake of the remake. When will the insanity end?
~And it looks like the same cheesy CGI as the last one....

4 comments:

furiousBall said...

there are no original ideas in Hollywood anymore... at all.

Charles Gramlich said...

Very few of these shows were worth much at the beginning. I Liked Starsky and hutch done semi seriously but hated the remake. I might try land of the lost.

Jhianna said...

I'm looking forward to The Hulk (despite that trailer, because, what?). But that's purely because I love Edward Norton.

Hated the Starsky&Hutch redo, skipped Dukes of Hazard, and Miami Vice was just not good.

Fab said...

I hate remakes. It's as if they ever got on original idea in their head they'd drop dead or something!