Monday, March 17, 2008

"Wizard's First Rule" Comes to TV and Will Farrell Does "Land of the Lost"

Sam Raimi, famous for "Spiderman," Xena" and "Hercules" is going to produce a television series based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

On network TV.

Seriously.

Has anyone read this series? I admit, I gave up about 5 books in when it became really redundant. But this is a very violent series. I liked it at first, though I have later become convinced the series is a serious rip-off of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series-- but that's beside the point.

If you haven't read the series, let me tell you. It has torture, rape, sex-- sex and torture-- all that good stuff. And it's going to be broadcast on ABC?

Now you're really curious to see it aren't you?

Yeah me too.

It starts production in May and is scheduled for Fall. Read the full article HERE.

In other totally bizarre news, Will Farrell has started shooting a big screen remake of Sid and Marty Krofft's Land of the Lost.

Wow. Just wow.

From Firstshowing.net:

The film's plot is described as a spoof revolving around "a disgraced paleontologist, his assistant and a macho tour guide who find themselves in a strange world inhabited by dinosaurs, monkey people and reptilian Sleestaks."

Who knows, since the original series was so over-the-top with bad special effects a spoof might work.

But still. If it's as bad as Starsky and Hutch, then I think we should mass boycott all remakes.

And just for giggles, this commercial cracks me up every time I see it....


8 comments:

DesLily said...

wow.. i remember the old tv series Land of the Lost !.. but Will Farrell???.. just doesn't fit! lol

furiousBall said...

I can't not watch Will. It's something to do with my Y chromosome I swear.

SQT said...

Deslily

Weird is all I can say.

Furious

Really? It seems like you have to have a Y chromosome to like Will. My husband and his buddies think "Anchorman" is hilarious and I can't sit through it.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've never read these. I thought they were humorous fantasy. Goes to show how much attention I pay.

Avery said...

I read about this a couple of weeks ago. I only read the first book. I wasn't too keen on it, but kept going. Once villain was getting sucked into the floor (and burning, I think), slowly enough to detail the entirety of his nefarious plot, though, I gave up.

I think Will Ferrell will do the Land of the Lost much tongue-in-cheek justice. That show was funny to begin with--and that was when I was five. Besides, any chance to revisit the Sleestaks and Chaka can't be too bad.

The Curmudgeon said...

Oh, oh. My 'man cred' may be at stake here. I think the only thing better than 30 minutes of Will Ferrell is 15 minutes of Will Ferrell.

I know this because one of the many, many Bears pre-game shows we have in Chicago constantly lifts Ferrell clips to illustrate whatever point they're attempting to make. (Do I resurrect my man cred to some extent by citing to a football pre-game show?)

Anyway, back to Will Ferrell -- I actually enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction -- but that's hardly a typical Ferrell outing, is it?

Although I've heard of it, "Land of the Lost," alas, was mostly after my own Saturday morning cartoon-watching time... and before my children's.

weariedjuggler said...

I had heard about the Sword of Truth entering the screen... and you are totally right, that is strange. I am super curious as to how it will turn out, and a little peeved that they are even trying...Fools...

weenie said...

Well, I for one can't wait for The Sword Of Truth series - sex and violence? Not enough on tv! :-)