Wednesday, March 19, 2008

If I Only Had a Laptop

You ever have one of those days? I doubt I even have to spell it out, you know exactly what I mean don't you? I always plan to do more than I can manage to get done each day. I have good intentions; do laundry, take the kids to the park, clean the bathrooms, write a post for the blog.... I think I did a load of laundry today. Oh, and I made it to the gym. And I sold some stuff on Craigslist and had somebody come by and do a termite inspection-- though all I had to do was stand there. So I got a little bit done today, not much, but some. But like always, I did plan to do something more interesting than ramble on about my day when I finally got a chance to post something to the blog. And I would have if I could have gotten to the %$#&* computer. You see, we only have one computer. That means my window of opportunity usually come between my daughter playing on the Webkins site and my husband's obsession with iTunes. Take tonight for instance. My husband says goodnight and I think great, now I can get on the computer. But oh no, before I even head up the stairs he's online. And it's kind of like waiting in line at the DMV. I get all twitchy and impatient thinking when is it finally going to be my turn? Then, just like at the DMV, I start getting all huffy and loud and make not-so-subtle comments about the time it's taking to do a simple task. After about an hour of this my husband finally gets the hint and goes to bed. But then I'm stuck with the late-night time slot on the computer and all I can think about is the sleep I'm losing while I try to formulate a coherent post that in someway relates to sci-fi. But sometimes the challenge is beyond my abilities. R.I.P Arthur C. Clark 1917-2008.

6 comments:

DesLily said...

ohhhh... you MORE than NEED a computer of your own !! So far threats haven't helped huh? lol..

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I hate when my wife looks over my shoulder on the computer. She keeps saying "Scroll up... scroll down.. stop... go back." I find it irritating. Then she says something like "Now can we look at diamond rings?" By that time I give up.

I bought her a laptop for her birthday a couple years ago through work. Why doesn't she use that one already? ;-)

furiousBall said...

hey, I got my DVD!

I love/hate my laptop. It follows me everywhere. By follows me everywhere, I mean I take it everywhere

Charles Gramlich said...

The only solution I see is another computer. Lana and I each have a desktop, and we have a laptop in case of emergencies.

SQT said...

Deslily

I haven't figured out the right threat yet....

Jon

My husband does the same thing. I usually banish him from the room. Your wife probably wouldn't like that though....

Furious

Oh good!

I'm kind of afraid of having a laptop for the same reason.

Charles

We're headed in the same direction. I want a laptop so I can be mobile though.

GFS3 said...

Laptops are a must -- and a basic one is pretty cheap. Start keeping all the change you find in your husband's pockets while doing laundry.

Then get yourself a laptop. It's a must!