Saturday, February 23, 2008

Some People Just Don't "Get" Blogging, Do They?

I've only had this blog for about a year and a half, but I've learned a lot. One thing I've noticed is that if people don't blog, they really don't understand it. I've been a stay-at-home mom for almost 8 years and blogging became a way for me to connect with adults while still being able to be at home at watch the kids. At first, I visited other blogs. Actually, I did that for about a year before it dawned on my to do more than post a comment here and there. The next dilemma I had was what kind of blog to put up. This fantasy site wasn't my first. I put one up that was oriented toward comparing different news outlets--newspapers, print, TV -- and comparing the various biases that I saw in each one. But that blog was a lot of friggin' work! Especially if I was looking at the daily news. Plus, I had no traffic right away and that was too discouraging for a job that didn't pay. So then I threw this blog up. The Fantasy & Sci-fi Lovin' thing wasn't actually intended to be a permanent name. But like a lot of stuff we do purely for the enjoyment of it, I had visitors here sooner than expected. So I kept the name. And I've enjoyed it a lot. I can't always think of topics to post and some days I put up video as filler, but mostly it's fun. But then I started telling family and friends that I had a blog and boy, I couldn't believe the looks I got. You'd have thought I grew a second head. And I can't say I really "get" the reactions I get. I mean, what's the big deal about a blog? Why is it looked at as an oddity? Though I must say, ever since I started getting books from publishers for reviews, my blogging has gained some legitimacy as far as my family is concerned. It's like they think now, oh it's like a real job, or she's actually doing something. *shrug* But we have kind of created our own culture haven't we? The way I see it, this is a normal evolution. We don't live in a world where people really socialize with their neighbors anymore. At least my neighborhood doesn't have any block parties. And I don't feel safe letting my kids run up and down the street unsupervised so much of my life is spent driving my kids to and fro. So, if I want any kind of social life, I don't have that many options-- unless I want to join the crochet group at our local Borders. So tell me, have you become the resident weirdos in your family for having a blog? I hope not. I'd like to think more and more people are going to "get" blogging. Maybe I'll meet another real live person who blogs. I'd like that.

13 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm surprised at how many of my friends from outside the blog world look upon this blogging thing as some kind of strange role playing game. As if I'm secretly into dungeons or dragons or world of warcraft.

starlily said...

I agree! Very few of my real life family/friends understand or look at my blog (as far as I know...) Mentioning it seems to freak them out... Fortunately blogging opens up a whole new network of friends & acquaintances...

furiousBall said...

I have coworkers, family, and friends that read mine. since i blog a lot about going through my divorce, they understand it pretty well.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I've had a few funny looks as well, as they seem to think it's not a pursuit 'normal' people should be pursuing.

SolShine7 said...

Some people get it and some just don't. Most of my friends around my age "get it" but that doesn't mean they actually participate in the blogosphere. They're more of the occasional MySpace bloggers.

But the cool thing at my church is that the Pastor has a blog and all the staff members. It's even cooler when I see see Pastor Chilly comment on some of my favorite blogs. You can check his out at www.ichilly.com

Great post!!! I totally get what you're saying and feel the same way at times too.

SQT said...

Charles

I think that's kind of what my family thinks too. But they've always thought I was strange because I liked fantasy books.

Starlily

I think that's why I keep doing it. I like the people I've met online and I think it's a great community.

Furiousball

Sorry that a negative reason has to fuel your blogging, but I get it. I've been through a bunch of nonsense with my parents and blogged about that-- I had to vent somehow.

Jean-luc

Nope, it definitely isn't considered normal just yet.

Solshine

I bet it is something that is more easily understood by younger people. My nephew has a blog, so he doesn't think I'm a freak. Well, most of the time...

pussreboots said...

My family members are some of my blog's biggest fans. They all nag me when I don't post. LOL.

GFS3 said...

I'm a closet blogger. No one at work knows I do. Some friends know, but I've never really shared the URL. My brother helps out with the technical stuff.

But you're right SQT there's a certain whackjob look you get for blogging. And it has gone away now that my blog has become more popular and I've gotten some books and DVDs sent to me.

I blog because I used to be a journalist and I missed the daily deadlines and the writing. My blog isn't personal -- more of the literary magazine I always wanted to publish.

And it is fun.

Asara Dragoness said...

Well, Charles beat me to it a bit, but you should see the looks I get at work when I mention World of Warcraft.. people look at me like I'm speaking japanese when I get all excited over the screenshot I'm using for my desktop and want to tell them the whole story behind it. My family is slowly embracing my oddity.. my mom actually got me a book about dragons for my last birthday. She was like.. I don't know if you'll like it, but it looked like you, so I got it. It was actually really good too. The Last Dragonlord. Fun read, I started AND finished it on the way home from Nebraska on Sunday.

Anyway, enough rambling from me, when all I really meant to say was, I understand! :)

Carl V. said...

I probably was a bit of the resident weirdo in my family anyway. I have always been a bit gaga about fantasy and science fiction in all its various forms as well as other things, like computer games, art, etc that the rest of my family isn't into. Blogging gives me the forum to explore those things and while I certainly write things that make my family shake their heads in wonder I think overall they are thrilled that I am doing something like this and they enjoy the occasional post that addresses something they can relate to so that they can chime in.

Fab said...

I learned about blogging through my brother who used it for posting pictures. I thought "well I can put some more content in a blog than that" and started my own. So my family is not that down on blogging, but friends... it's true, those who don't blog, don't really understand it.

crunchy carpets said...

Dh tried to be snobby about it and then realized I was onto something.

My family just think I need friends and a social life

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

most of mine have their own blogs, but mine was first! well except for lala's that is!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox