Monday, February 25, 2008

Love Fantastic

I had actually meant to do this as a Valentines Day post but as usual, I was too scattered to actually get it done. But I still think it's a worthy post; the idea of love and how it appears in sci-fi and fantasy.

What's so great about our favorite genre is that there are really no bounds to what is possible. Love never has to be denied by time, space or even death. It doesn't always mean that a love-stuck couple will find their happy ending, but they probably stand a better chance than just about anyone else. So here are some of my favorite couples that appear in sci-fi and fantasy.

Trinity & Neo (The Matrix)
This love story proves my point that death is no barrier to love. At first I wasn't sure I would buy into this love story but it won me over in the end-- despite the fact that the only decent Matrix movie was the first one. But there was just something in the way that Trinity looked at Neo with such faith that it was hard not to hope that this couple would find a happy ending despite overwhelming odds.

Han Solo & Princess Leia (Star Wars)
These two had chemistry from the start. Their bickering hid a desire for each other that could only flare up before too long. And who could blame Princess Leia? Han may seem like a bad boy but he never strays too far from the side of good and his roguish side only added to his appeal. And where else but in a fantasy world could a Princess fall in love with a commoner without a whole lot of fuss?


Wash & Zoe (Firefly)
Talk about your odd couples. She's the bad-ass warrior and he's the goofball and I loved them. I never got tired of the interactions between Zoe and Wash. She might have been eternally loyal to Mal but her heart definitely belonged to Wash, and I don't think he could look at his wife without continued wonder at his good fortune.



Wolverine & Jean Grey (X-Men)Okay, I'm only mentioning this so I can talk about Hugh Jackman *sigh*. They weren't really a couple, but oh boy, the chemistry. Scott who?





Superman & Lois Lane (Superman)
Nothing, but nothing can keep these two apart. From comic books, movies and TV series' Clark and Lois always find their way back to each other. I don't what the series Smallville has in store for the couple, but I'll be interested in finding out.




Kyle Reese & Sarah Connor (Terminator)
These two didn't seem like an obvious couple from the get-go did they? A man from a future wasteland and a woman who started out not knowing one end of a gun from another. But somehow you could buy the relationship between these two and by the end I was really hoping for a happy ending. I think I still have a tiny kernel of hope flickering in me too.... Like I said, nothing is impossible with sci-fi.



John Crichton & Aeryn Sun (Farscape)
I didn't actually watch this series when it first came out but I have since bought it on DVD. I haven't finished it yet--so don't give too much away. But boy, these two have chemistry don't they? I can't wait to see where this story goes.


I admit, this isn't a deep list. I haven't gone into depth about what makes these couples great other than the fact that I like them. But I suppose that's good enough isn't it? I don't consider myself a girl who is into chic-flicks but I don't mind a good love story--as long as there's plenty of action to go with it.

So who would you add to the list?

10 comments:

SolShine7 said...

Good picks. I'd like to add Max & Liz from Roswell, Peter Parker & Mary-Jane from Spiderman and Max & Logan from Dark Angel. Those are some of my top favs.

lysrian said...

I would like to add two from the Andromeda series
Romey (Andromeda Ascendant) and Balance of Judgment Avatar.

This pick is very cool since teh actors that met in these roles eventually got married.

lysrian said...

I also have to suggest Major Sam Cater and Colonel O'Neal from Stargate SG-1.

What about Mulder and Sculley...is that too obvious?

furiousBall said...

Rick Deckard and Rachel from Bladerunner?

Charles Gramlich said...

My favorite of this group is Sarah Conner and Kyle Reese. Just one night, but it was a powerful event. I just really liked both actors in their roles here.

Avery said...

I'm going to get pelted with things from the anti-Whedonites lurking around, but gotta add Buffy and Angel.

SQT said...

Soshine

I thought about the Peter Parker & Mary Jane one, but for some reason Kirsten Dunst puts me off that one...

Lysrian

I'm afraid I don't know those first ones.. *I'm a bad sci-fi freak*
I thought about Mulder & Scully, but I think I prefer when they aren't a couple.

Furiousball

That's a good one..

Charles

I think they're my favorite too. Lots of significance to that pairing.

Avery

I think I meant to add Buffy & Angel and forgot. But yeah, I knew there might be some knee-jerk reaction against it too. I may have pushed it just by including Wash & Zoe.

Carl V. said...

Great picks. And yes, it is a timely topic despite Val's Day being over and done. I too am in the process of watching Farscape on DVD as I didn't see it when it was on television. Love the series and love the chemistry between the characters. Can't wait to get back to it and see how the series progresses.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I was going to say Jack O'Neill & Samantha Carter as well, but was beaten to it.

How about Daniel Jackson and Vala?

Fab said...

I would have loved to add some, but all the great ones have been mentioned.

Oh and Sqt, the Aeryn and Crighton thing - boy the chemistry is just jumping off the screen. Don't miss the Peacekeeper War that follows Farscape... if you like those two!