Monday, February 18, 2008

It's no BSG, but it's Bound to Make Lots of Little Boys Want to Drive Mustangs

I finished watching the new "Knight Rider" this evening all I can say is wow. Did they bring on the cheese factor or what? Granted, the original "Knight Rider" was pretty cheesy, we are talking David Hasselhoff, right? But I'm sorry, I thought this show was bad. Really bad. I did watch the original "Knight Rider" as a kid, but in my defense, I was twelve when it came out. I kind of lumped it into shows like "The Dukes of Hazzard," where there isn't really any acting or plot to speak of, just lots of stunts. And that's kind of where the new "Knight Rider" ends up, only with worse acting. I don't know, am I being too hard on the show? For those who didn't watch it, the basic plot is this: The inventor of the Knight Industries 2000 (the original KITT) has created a new KITT called the Knight Industries 3000. Some bad guys come along and want some "codes," and accidentally kill a man they think is KITT's creator and so run off and try to find his daughter who also has the mysterious codes. KITT (having fled the scene of the original crime) tracks down the daughter and tells her she must find a man named Mike Tracer (who not-so-surprisingly turns out to be the son of Michael Knight) for help. Blah blah blah predictable. Throw in some titillating scenes with a lesbian cop, Michael in bed with two women and lots and lots of Ford ads and you have the idea. I kind of kept hoping for something that would make the show interesting. I hoped the car would be really cool, but basically the most distinguishing feature is that it changes color. Um, hello. Shouldn't it fly or something? Even KITT's voice failed to excite me even though it was voiced by Val Kilmer. It just seemed flat and boring. Again, maybe I'm being to hard on the show. But with shows like BSG that show us that you can take and old formula and re-work it into something special with good writing, direction and acting; and frankly "Knight Rider" has none of these. They even tried to bring in the Hoff to spice things up, but I have to say the father-son reunion just seemed...weird. I guess it's obvious, but this show didn't work for me. At all.

16 comments:

furiousBall said...

yeah, i didn't even make it to the first commercial break. if i was with Ford, I'd sue them for sucking. Just like my lawsuit against Nickelback

Fab said...

All those re-makes... how very original... and creative... that's all I'm going to say about it.

Charles Gramlich said...

I thought it was pretty bad. They should have featured the car a lot more.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It does sound like a cheap update.

Avery said...

I couldn't watch it. I flipped by it once. The not-Michael dude was talking to a girl about the car. The scene was--overacted. I kept flipping.

SQT said...

FuriousBall

I wonder if we can sue the Hoff for Baywatch and Knight Rider?

Fab

I know, I can't imagine what they're going to hit us with next. Gilligan's Island part II?

Charles

Lots and lots of car chases would have helped tremendously

Jean-luc

Cheap is a good word for it.

Avery

The acting was pretty much awful.

GFS3 said...

Are we being punished for the writer's strike? All I'm going to say is that I'm glad I don't watch TV.

video reports said...

I also grew up with The Dukes Of Hazzard AND Knight Rider, pretty bad shows but when you are a kid harmless fun. Maybe I wanted a Mustang back then.
Health News

The Curmudgeon said...

Didn't see the Knight Rider remake -- when the original was on the idea of a talking car was pretty high-tech.

Except for My Mother the Car. That was different.

Anyway, nowadays cars talk all the time. "The door is ajar." Or they ding at you until you buckle your seatbelt. Not so high-tech for a car to talk back anymore.

As for your question -- what's next, Gilligan's Island II? -- isn't that what Lost is, only (so far) the Harlem Globetrotters haven't shown up?

GFS3 said...

If the Harlem Globetrotters show up on the "Lost" it would have to go down as the greatest moment in television history.

Even better would be Sawyer bumping into Gilligan and the Captain on one of his walks.

Carl V. said...

Even if it was for some reason a good show, the idea of bringing back a show like Knight Rider just shows how far down the barrel television produces have dug to try to make a buck. With the myriad of amazing science fiction and fantasy authors out there...especially those skilled in the art of the short story...you cannot tell me that there aren't a ton of amazing ideas that could be made into television shows without resorting to remaking these kind of cheesy shows.

ShadowFalcon said...

there is a new knight rider without the hoff? how is this possible!

SolShine7 said...

I watched the premiere and it was okay. I was excited when I saw Sydney Tamia Poitter's name in the credits but that opening scene of her with that woman ruined it for me. I don't want to see that.

For a two-hour debut the show really dragged. I'll pass on this one.

SQT said...

I totally didn't think of Lost as being like Gilligan's Island, but you know, it is like Gilligan's Island without the funny parts. I would love to see the Globetrotters show up.

Solshine, I thought the whole lesbian thing was cheap and unnecessary. But then, so was the shot with him in bed with two women. The whole thing was crap as far as I'm concerned.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Yeah my wife and I watched it and she complained that I wasn't paying close enough attention so we could make fun of it together.

Just about everything they did was so goofy cheesey. I enjoyed watching it for what it was worth, but I certainly can't see myself making a habit if it was a series.

SolShine7 said...

I agree with you SQT, they went to that scene with the her and her one night stand then to Knight Rider and his two one night stands and that's just way too many people rolling out of bed half-naked for me in such a short time on screen.