Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some Upcoming Sci-fi/Fantasy Movie Releases for 2008

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how excited I am for some of 2008's scheduled movie releases, but I was surprised at how many sci-fi oriented films are coming out this year. I can't claim to be totally optimistic after some of the flops of last year (name your sequel-- "Spiderman," "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Fantastic Four") but I think this year has some pretty solid contenders. The top of my to-see list this year has to be the sequel to "Batman Begins" : The Dark Knight. If you haven't seen the pirated trailer yet, watch it here. If the whole movie is as good as this six minutes, it ought to be fantastic. Release date: July 18. Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is another absolute must see this year. Karen Allen is back as Marion and rumor has it that Shia LeBeouf's character (Mutt) might be Indy and Marion's son. We'll see.... Release date: May 22 I was totally taken by surpise by the fact that Hellboy 2 was being released this year. Heck, I didn't even know it was being made. How did I miss that? This is one of the most truly original comic book series to make it to the big screen and I can't wait to see Ron Perlman back in action. Release date: July 11. One of the most hyped movies of the year is an early release-- tomorrow in fact. J. J. Abrams' Cloverfield has had all kinds of attention and speculation and now we'll finally know what all the fuss is about. I have to admit though, I probably won't view this one in the theatre. The trailer footage makes it look as if the movie is filmed "Blair Witch" style and I don't know if I can sit through that again. If anyone else happens to watch it though, let me know what you think. Jumper, one of several YA fiction books that has made it to the big screen debuts on Valentines Day. I hadn't heard of this one but it could be interesting. Hayden Christensen stars as a young man who discovers he has the ability to teleport. I guess now we'll find out if he can blame his bland performance in "Star Wars" on George Lucas or not. Just the day after "Jumper" hits theatres, The Spiderwick Chronicles will make its screen debut. My daughter loves these books so I'm hoping the movie is good since there is a very good chance I will have to sit through it. Another comic book hero making an appearance this year is Iron Man. I don't really know what to think of this yet; there are too many unknowns. Like, can Robert Downey Jr. play a superhero? And can Jon Favreau direct a movie like this? I will probably wait for the review before I decide whether or not to see this one. Release date: May 2. Another movie I'm a bit unsure of is Speed Racer. I've seen the trailer and frankly, it just looks strange. But I'm not a big fan of cartoonish looking live-action films. But who knows, it could be good. Release date: May 9. One movie that is probably going to be a sure-fire hit this year is The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I hate to admit it, but I haven't sat all the way through the first one. You know how it is when you're not in the mood... But I heard it was good. Release date: May 16. There are several more movies to add to this list, but I'm going to make this post a two-parter. Gotta get up early tomorrow and all that. :) But I'd love to hear what everyone is looking forward to this year, and if there are any movies I haven't yet mentioned that need to be on the to-see list for this year.

10 comments:

Hey there, Skippy said...

Why do they appear to have chosen Zac Efron's less good-looking retarded older cousin to play Prince Caspian? I swear, sometimes it's like I've never been away...

SQT said...

Aw Skippy, what can I say? I've missed you!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Cloverfield's getting decent reviews. I have to say that now I am intrigued.

Indy, Hell Boy, and Dark Knight are no-brainers for me. Iron Man I'm not so sure about, either. We really liked Chronicles of Narnia, so I imagine I'll bring the little one(s) to Prince Caspan.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

They look better quality than last year's.

Crunchy Carpets said...

The book 'Jumper' was really boring. I am a bit boggled that it was even made.

Iron Man actually looks awesome. I am very stoked about that one. Downey in the trailer is perfect.

SQT said...

Crunchy

When I was looking up "Iron Man" the pictures I saw made it look better than I expected. I think I'm just so jaded by a lot of the comic book offerings that I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

On the other hand. I hope it's good. ;)

DesLily said...

I saw the Hellboy trailer some time ago and it looks better than the first movie!!

Many good ones this year! I sure won't miss Indiana Jones! Or Inkheart!

Charles Gramlich said...

Seems like a lot of the sequels last year forgot to dance with the one that brung them and got very off focus. I'll certainly see the Indiana Jones one, though. Looking forward to that.

SolShine7 said...

I saw Cloverfield and it was okay. The beginning started off a little slow with all the soap-opera like drama to set up the characters but once the action hit things got interesting. I'm not a fan of the shaky camera style but as long as this type of cinematography doesn't become the majority then all is well.

I can't wait to see Prince Caspian, Indie, Jumper and Dark Knight.

daniel said...

Hey I can't wait for this movie to come out! I loved them was I was younger, but I hope it lives up to the first three. Hey Thanks for linking to my site www.fanmoviereviews.com I changed the title though and I was hoping you could update it. That would be great thanks so much. Daniel