Monday, January 14, 2008

I Think it Didn't Suck

Man, it's getting sad. I didn't think I'd care too much about the writer's strike, but it's getting in the way of my uninterrupted entertainment. Is it too much to ask for a new episode of "Reaper?" I mean, the new "American Gladiator" and "Celebrity Rehab" just aren't doing it for me-- though the rehab show is fully stocked with enough real-time train wrecks to satisfy the schadenfreude in all of us. So I was looking forward to last nights premier of "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" more than I would have ordinarily and though it didn't blow me away right off, it shows some promise. It picks up about two years after "T2" ended. As far as John and Sarah know, the Apocalypse may never come and they have let down their guard long enough for Sarah to fall in love and become engaged. But domestic bliss freaks Sarah out enough to jolt her into moving and this actually alerts the robots her whereabouts and the hunt begins again. Sarah and John end up in a small Arizona town where both the hunter-robot and protector-robot find them very quickly and the public shoot-outs begin. The show definitely follows the pattern set by the movies and in that way is a bit predictable; only this time we get a teenage girl as the protector instead of Arnold Swarzenneger. Summer Glau (River from "Firefly") is the young cyborg and she is probably the best thing about the show so far. Lena Headly ("300") does her best to have the edge that Linda Hamilton brought to the character of Sarah Connor in "T2" but seems more domesticated than Hamilton ever did. And, thankfully, this John Connor (Thomas Dekker) is a less obnoxious version than we've seen in the past. (I can't claim to have been a big fan of Edward Furlong) In general I thought the show showed some promise but it could fall flat quick if it gets too repetitive. I will hold out hope though, if "Prison Break" can manage to keep fresh content coming within a fairly restricted storyline, then it's possible to keep this one afloat with decent writing. Oh wait, that might be a problem....

7 comments:

furiousBall said...

I agree - it wasn't terrible. The acting was stiff, but the story was decent. I'm gonna give it another shot tonight.

Crunchy Carpets said...

yeeeeeaaaaah....I am holding of as perhaps it will improve.

the acting WAS stiff and I felt like whatshername had just watched T2 and copied the 'acting' instead of bringing anything to the part herself.

I am still trying to figure out how dumb the FBI guy is when an entire classroom sees the guy with a robot leg and then an entire BANK sees the big robot guy.

My dh doesn't hold too much hope for 'good' and or 'imaginative' writing based on the people running the show....but we shall see.

Charles Gramlich said...

damn, I missed it. Intended to catch it but my brother and his wife were over and it slipped my mind.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

From your review, it sounds good. Looking out for it in Britain.

Carl V. said...

I was surprised by how much, when the time came to watch this, I just had no interest. I hope it does well, mostly because I like Lena Headley and Summer Glau, but in the end I just don't care about the show. More than anything that is probably a sad commentary about how much television is mediocre. Other than Bones, House, and Pushing Daisies, I'm just not missing television.

Last night I thought about watching this after football and more than anything wanted to sit down and finish reading Second Foundation rather than get started in another tv show that ends up getting cancelled just when it is taking off. I'm getting jaded.

SQT said...

Carl, I hear ya. I don't watch a heck of a lot either. "Pushing Daisies" is probably my favorite of this years lot and the only one I'm missing.

SolShine7 said...

SQT, I pretty much agree with your assessment of the pilot. This dry spell is really making appreciate all the writers do. They truly are the backbone of Hollywood.