Monday, December 10, 2007

First Knight Rider, and now This?!

It had to happen. With the popularity of "reality" television over the last several years, it was only a matter of time until "American Gladiators" made it back to television in an attempt to out-muscle the original. At first glance, I thought there was no way I was going to watch this. But now I admit I'm kind of curious. I'm sure no one besides myself has failed to notice that we, as a country, have become..rather..er...portly. But "reality" TV never fails to portray the image of the average American as supremely buffed and surgically enhanced. Needless to say I'm interested in seeing what the competitors look like, but I'm dying to see what 21st Century gladiators look like. This should be interesting. OH, and the names! Anyone remember Zap? How about Malibu? OMG! I have to watch this just to see what the names are going to be.

10 comments:

SolShine7 said...

Yes!!! I've been wanting them to bring back this show. Nitro was the hottie with the mullet. How can they ever replace that?!?! ;)

weenie said...

I used to love the UK version of Gladiators and anyway, is there anything wrong with watching fit and athletic, marginally-clad sportspersons in the name of entertainment?

The names are going to be tougher than the events!

Bring it on, there's hardly anything worth watching on tv these days...

Asara Dragoness said...

LOVED this show, SO much!! I hope I get to see the new version :) I think Thunder was my favorite.. but I can't remember now, it's been too long!

Avery DeBow said...

I can't get over those sneakers enough to make a proper comment. They're freaking me out.

furiousBall said...

i ...can't do it .... will be like going to the bathroom on own brain...

Charles Gramlich said...

I will admit to watching an episode or two of the first American Gladiators. But I think I got it out of my system.

Carl V. said...

Have to admit that I used to watch this on occasion. Not sure I can bring myself to waste the time now though.

Alex said...

I used to love this show, when it first came out! The best part was how seriously the gladiators took themselves, even though this was their last best hope for fame after being kicked off of the bodybuilding circuits for steroid abuse. haha

By the way, I'm surprised nobody's posted anything about Bixby's "Man from Earth" around here, yet. It's kind of an internet Sci-Fi phenomenon.

I made a brief post about it over at my blog, but don't scroll down if you're at work, since there are some exposed breasts in the post underneath it. (And we all know how offensive the human body is.)

The producer came by this morning to comment. He and the director are running a ferocious word of mouth campaign on the chatrooms and blogs.

Feel free to steal the story - my readership is steadily declining, as my research eats up more and more of my time.

SQT said...

Thanks Alex. I've been kind of preoccupied lately and haven't been able to post as well as I'd like to.

The Curmudgeon said...

I believe this only "had to happen" because of the WGA strike.

Have the producers no shame?