Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What's Old is New Again....Again

Well, they're doing it. They're really doing it. They're remaking Knight Rider. Knight Rider Star Cast All My Children hunk Justin Bruening is set as the lead in NBC's two-hour backdoor pilot Knight Rider, a Transformers-inspired sequel to the 1980s series, which is slated to air as a movie later in the season, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Bruening will play the son of Michael Knight, the character played by David Hasselhoff in the original series. And like father, like son; the choice of Bruening closely resembles Hasselhoff's casting a quarter-century ago. Like Bruening, Hasselhoff was a soap star (The Young & the Restless) with few other credits when he landed Knight Rider. He was almost the same age as Bruening, who is 28. Steve Shill is set to direct and co-executive-produce Rider, which was penned by Dave Andron. Doug Liman and Dave Bartis are executive-producing for Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Productions. Andron serves as supervising producer. (NBC and Universal Media Studios are both owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.) I'm speechless. And what the heck do they mean by "Transformer inspired?"

15 comments:

Stewart Sternberg said...

When you are fourteen, you think a show is great. "Charlies' Angels"? WOW. "A Team". YEAH!!!! "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" OOOOH!!!

But then you grow up. And looking back with adult eyes, you understand just how truly bad these things are.

And when these fourteen year olds become thirty somethings, they repackage the crap and hope what sold to fourteen year olds back then will sell again. Or at least it will appeal to the nostalgia of other fourteen year olds.

The real exception to this sort of unimaginative drecht has been "Battlestar Gallactica".

But nevermind me...I'm waiting for the dvd release of the "Man From U.N.C.L.E." this year.

SQT said...

We'll know we're really in trouble when they do a remake of "Buck Rodgers."

Charles Gramlich said...

I was just griping on my blog about the lack of imagination with all the remakes. Here I see it again. Sigh!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It sounds like the car can change shape.

My Reflecting Pool said...

oh dear, and I thought we lacked originality when Night Rider first came out.

hehe, what did that female robot from buck rogers say? Booty booty I think. hehe. That was a bad bad show.

Ron Simpson said...

I have been wondering about the "Transformer inspired" also.
But liked the concept of Buck Rogers.....that story was out there long before the tv series. It debuted in 1928. I have no problem with it being redone, if it is done well.

Matt said...

I'd like to see KITT's character remade as an ex-con who helps Michael Knight in order to reduce jail time for a hit and run charge.

SQT said...

You know what I remember most about Knight Rider? The alter-ego character of Michael Knight (I have no clue what his name was), you know, the bad guy with the pencil mustache.

Wonder if they'll try to work that into the new series.

Fab said...

Stop the fricken remakes! Be original for once! I'm just speechless...

weenie said...

The remake of Battlestar Galactica is great, so based on that, I'm all for remakes. I haven't seen the Bionic Woman yet so can't comment on that remake.

I wasn't a huge fan of Knight Rider as I didn't really like the Hoff although I guess the car was pretty cool.

But that pic of the new car....I'm not a car-person but it made me feel all kinda funny looking at it for some reason...

SQT said...

Weenie

BSG at least justifies all attempts at remaking anything.

Tingly over a car huh?

Alex said...

WTF? Buck Rogers rawks all over Knight Rider! What was the point of KR anyway? A dude drives around in a talking car? How is that even mildly entertaining? It's as useless as Wonder Woman's truth lasso. I mean, really!

And the original BSG still beats the hell out of the new one. Starbuck is the king of all studs, and still shows up next to the jedi ghosts of a young Hugh Heffner and a white Wilt Chamberlain, whenever a chapter in my life is complete.

SQT said...

He he

Alex, my husband has the same kind of man-love as you do for the original Starbuck. I think that's the biggest mistake they made with the new BSG; changing Starbuck. The character should've remained Apollo's best friend and unrepentant womanizer. It just seems right for some reason.

SolShine7 said...

I just hope it doesn't suck.

Alex said...

At least they got rid of that annoying kid, and his robot dog!