Thursday, November 15, 2007

Maybe it's a Sign

I, like many others, have been waiting for news about the long anticipated X-Files movie sequel. There seem to be little bits of information coming out tidbit by tidbit and then I got an email announcing the release of a 61 disc DVD collection of all things X-Files. I guess it has every season, the movie and all kinds of extras. Cool. But mostly, when I saw that little goody, I was wondering, does that mean the movie is actually being made?? I think so. X-Files movie sequel to be shot in Vancouver The X-Files is back and will be seeking out paranormal activity once again in Vancouver. The second movie based on the TV series that ran from 1993 to 2002 will be shot in Vancouver beginning Dec. 10. It continues the story of special agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, played by the original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. Chris Carter, the original creator, is on board to write and direct the as-yet-untitled movie. About 100 B.C. crew members are expected to find work on the film. The first X-Files movie came out in 1998 and there has been buzz about a sequel for years, but it was held up by legal wrangling between Carter and 20th Century Fox. Fox announced Thursday that the new movie is slated for release in June 2008. The first five seasons of the TV series were shot in Vancouver, but the later seasons were filmed out of Los Angeles. Duchovny had given interviews in the 1990s in which he complained about the wet weather in Vancouver and was also reported to want to spend more time with his wife, actress Tea Leoni. The first X-Files movie was shot in California, New Jersey, London and British Columbia on a budget of about $65 million. It went on to gross $187 million worldwide and set up the continuing tension between Mulder and Scully for a sequel. The X-Files and two other paranormal shows of that era, The Outer Limits and Poltergeist: The Legacy helped establish Vancouver as the place to film science fiction. Finally! So I guess I can now go watch all 61 DVD's while I wait for the movie to come out. You know, just to refresh my memory and all that. I'm not a freak or anything. Mostly. For the rest of you freaks I'll put a link up on my sidebar if you want to get more info on the box set.

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I never got into the show when it first came out because I just didn't have a chance to catch any kind of series TV. Later I liked it a lot in reruns, but I didn't care that much for the movie. Still, I feel positive enough about the TV episodes that I'll probably give the movie a try. I though the actors were great in the show.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Won't it make that box a little outdated if there is a new movie coming out?

SQT said...

Charles

I think it's Duchovny and Anderson that keep it alive. I don't know if it would have survived as long as it did without their chemistry together. I'm amazed the show lasted as long as it did after Duchovny left.

Jean-Luc

They'll hit us with a whole new better-than-the-first boxset after the new movie comes out.

Matt said...

I have pretty much the entire series on dvd, but I can only watch the stand alone episodes, preferably the humorous ones. I might actually watch the "mythos" episodes if a new movie is coming out.

weenie said...

I have the first 2 series on DVD. I loved both the Mulder and Scully characters. Missed most of the final series, might try to get hold of it at some point.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I'm going to hummm the X-files theme. Ready. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo....pause....Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo. Pause. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo. Pause. Doo doo doo doo doo doo.

Carl V. said...

I'm one of those dullards who has not seen any of the X-files and lately have been getting signs that it might be time to get off my butt and actually watch the series!!!