Wednesday, October 10, 2007

As Long As There's a Free TV Involved...

Because my blog is pretty specific subject-wise, I end up getting a lot of sci-fi/fantasy related email. I get a lot of stuff from TV networks looking to promote their newest shows or online magazines that have articles they think will interest me. And for the most part, that's great. I started this blog as a hobby; something to play with and hopefully find other people who have similar tastes to my own. I really didn't know that blogging would become the new frontier for advertisers. But it seems the world's a marketplace and there is no place on earth that will be overlooked. I've dabbled a bit with tiny amounts of advertising-- to absolutely no profit to me at all. So I moved on to free books in return for reviews; which is a sweet deal as far as I'm concerned. And I keep an eye out for freebies-- as you all know. And I've tried to stay away from too much overt advertising. But one little thing caught my attention. It involves a big screen TV. I got an email advertising the release of the 20th anniversary edition DVD of The Princess Bride. I ignored it. Then I get another email saying they're having a contest and the winner gets a 42" plasma TV and home theatre system. Okay. Now I'm paying a little more attention. Unfortunately this isn't an enter your name and win contest. Nope. You gotta work a little. Frankly, I'm not the type that bothers with competitions in which I actually have to do anything. But the prizes on this one are pretty good and I thought, maybe, there might be some people who frequent this blog who might be a lot more creative than I am. So, if any of you just happen to like dabbling with your video cameras (not like that!) here's a link to the contest. Ode to The Princess Bride Contest The basic idea is that you create an "Ode to The Princess Bride" video for a chance to win a home theatre system. I think there are also autographed scripts as part of the prize package, but really, I'd just want the TV. Anyway, now I've done my bit as a shill for the advertising industry. I hope you still respect me in the morning.

5 comments:

SQT said...

Well, this went over like a lead balloon.

Note to self. No posts that advertise anything. Ever.

The Curmudgeon said...

It's inconceivable that this movie has been out for 20 years....

SQT said...

I know!

I read the book before the movie came out and looooved it. The movie is fun too. Obviously it has some staying power.

Asara said...

Holy spicoli!

I have been absent for the most part from bloggyland, or else I would have drooled all over this post :) I wonder if they accept WoW videos.. if hubby gets his laptop fixed, we could have some serious fun with that!!

Mich said...

TV is just seems to better than theaters, what’s up with the newbie? Nowadays sci-fi episodes are so good to be seen, I love those.