Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Showtime is Evil!

Pure evil I tell you! Direct TV has been showing the first season of the Showtime series Dexter for free this week and after only three episodes I'm hooked. Jerks. See, I'm too cheap to subscribe to HBO or Showtime just to get one show here and there, but this time they may have gotten to me. I just don't know if I can wait until the second season comes out on DVD. However, my husband doesn't share my entertainment sensibilities-- and Dexter may be a tough sell. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, Dexter is a show based on a series of books by Jeff Lindsay. And though they aren't really sci-fi/fantasy, the premise is fascinating for someone with a morbid sense of irony, like myself. Our hero, Dexter Morgan (an amazing Michael C. Hall), is a blood spatter expert in Miami who has a few sociopathic tendencies. Okay, he's a serial killer-- with a morality code. Dexter's adopted dad, a very very pragmatic cop, recognized Dexter's homicidal urges and taught him to redirect his need to kill toward those who deserve it. So Dexter only kills other killers. How's that for a moral quandary? This show is not for the squeamish, but I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone that. Though you gotta give Showtime credit for not making the show too gruesome. No, what does it for me is the internal dialogue that Dexter has going on. He knows he isn't normal. He tries to show emotion and he is capable of caring for other people. But when a problem arises, well, he doesn't have the same boundaries as the rest of us. And Hall is fantastic in the role. The deadpan look he has on his face most of the time is so perfect; just what I would imagine someone who is trying to be human would look like. It's funny to me that I have taken to this show so much. I read the first book and thought the premise was better than the execution; though it wasn't bad. But those evil, evil people at Showtime got me hooked something awful. Jerks.

6 comments:

Robert said...

I didn't realize there was a TV show of this series. That's what I get for not having cable. I guess I'll have to pick up both the show and the books :D

SQT said...

I must be a sick sick soul Robert because I just love this show. But it is fascinating.

My Reflecting Pool said...

damn, more crap to get addicted to. Thanks.

Robert said...

Theresa, I doubt you're the only one that's loving the show. The book series is very popular...

Matt said...

I picked up the first book a few days ago and I'm now just a few pages from finishing the second. Reading them makes me want to rub my hands together like a maniac because I enjoy the violence and humor waaaay too much. If the series is anything like the books I must watch them and I'll cut anyone who tries to stop me.

SQT said...

Lol

You are going to be seriously addicted if you already like the books. The series is even better IMO.