Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This Can't Be Good, Can It?

All the sci-fi sites are reporting that Kevin Smith is going to direct an episode of Battlestar Galactica. Smith?? Of Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob? The horror.... Weirdly though, there seems to be some confusion about whether this will actually happen. IGN has the conflicting stories.... August 27, 2007 - Kevin Smith has been making quite a splash in television these days. Not only did Smith direct The CW's well received pilot for Reaper, but he was also the first director announced to do an episode of the spinoff of NBC's smash hit series Heroes; the upcoming Heroes: Origins. Now Smith will be heading to another cult genre show, with SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica. On Smith's website, Viewaskew.com, Smith says in an excerpt from an interview with AOL TV, that he's going to Vancouver to direct an episode of the acclaimed series. Smith says "I know that I'm going to go up and direct an episode of 'Battlestar Galactica,' which I'm kind of stoked about. It's cool, but it is scary because it is like, 'What the f***? I can't bring anything to that show.' That show is genius and they have a very distinctive visual style." If people are worried that Jay and Silent Bob will show up on Colonial One, or that Smith's trademark "non-style" will invade the show, not so he says. "You are safe as a kitten. If you go in there and say, 'I'm going to shoot everything in one big master shot,' they'll go, 'No you're not, because that is not what we do on Battlestar Galactica.' I guess it is more about performance-oriented stuff, but at the same time that cast is top notch. How do you f***ing direct Mary McDonnell?" Battlestar Galactica returns to SCI FI with a special event titled Razor that airs November 24th. Update: It seems Smith might not be directing an episode after all. On the SCI FI Channel's message boards, "MrsRon", a poster long known to be Battlestar producer Ron Moore's wife, has said Smith will no longer be directing an episode of the series due to a scheduling conflict. Late Update: We confirmed with Kevin Smith's publicist that he IS, in fact, directing an episode of Battlestar Galactica. Whatever scheduling conflict there was, seems to have been worked out. We have not, as of this time, been able to get a comment from SCI FI regarding the post from Ron Moore's wife that lead to the initial rumors he was not doing the episode. Confused yet? All I know is that Smith's style seems wildly incompatible with BSG, but what do I know? Many of the fan sites have positive responses to Smith directing a BSG episode and frankly, he probably can't do that much damage. They're also saying he's going to direct an episode of Heroes. What is the world coming to?

11 comments:

Crunchy Carpets said...

I just wish he would go away.

Shark has been jumped

SQT said...

Rofl! I know!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Nobody seems too sure about anything. Maybe the producers are getting scared?

John Dent said...

I don't really like Kevin Smith, so I'm hoping he really does have a conflict. I hope he directs an episode of the Today Show!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Smith also directed the pilot of Reaper and according to the Onion AVClub, it was pretty decent.

I don't want to give up on Smith yet, he's made a few stinkers but Mallrats was da bomb!

Stewart Sternberg said...

I think people are being unkind to Kevin Smith. He has a love of the genre and an understanding of the material. He respects it. Which is more than one can say about Michael Bey, director of "Transformers".

I think Kevin Smith will do well. I'm willing to give him a chance.

SQT said...

Jon

I'd like to check out Reaper because the premise sounds interesting. I just hope it isn't like Smith's other work.

Stu

I thought about that when I wrote the post, but still....

For me it's a matter of style. I just can't stand his stuff. But like I said in the post, I doubt he can do much damage.

Asara said...

I dunno.. I kind of love Kevin Smith. But that may be more love for Silent Bob, they get kind of confused in my head sometimes.

Either way.. I left you a present on my blog! :)

My Reflecting Pool said...

I'd give him a chance for the sole reason of giving him a chance. He may surprise everyone and come up with something literally out of this world, or he could create crap. BUT, if its, crap, you know he won't get another job creating sci-fi, right?

Matt said...

I once saw this guy live and the dude was hilarious. Now by no means is all of his stuff great - I didn't much care for Clerks 2 - and I wish he'd stop trying to act, but, as long as somebody else points the camera for him, I think I'm going to look forward to his episode.

Carl V. said...

From what I have seen and read from Kevin Smith, I actually think that he is really talented and could pull off a very interesting episode of BSG. I say don't judge until you've seen it, it may end up being an episode you love.