Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Do We Still Care?

So how many years has it been since the X-Files ended? Four? Five years? Actually, the real question is when did you stop watching it? I stopped watching pretty much as soon as they started replacing David Duchovny. But it appears the franchise just isn't going to die just yet. Yep, they have finished the script for a second movie and David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have both signed on to star in the movie. David Duchovny, who played special agent Fox Mulder on the television series The X-Files and in the 1998 feature film, told reporters that he will be getting a finished script of a proposed second movie this week. Speaking in a news conference at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. on July 14, Duchovny said that The X-Files creator Chris Carter drafted the new script with longtime producing partner Frank Spotnitz. (Duchovny was promoting his new Showtime series Californication.) "Chris has written it with Frank Spotnitz, and Chris will direct it," Duchovny said. "And [co-star Gillian Anderson is] on board, and I'm on board, and that's all I can tell you. I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing what he did." Rumors of a second film have been circulating since the previous one came out. This time, Duchovny said that the long-anticipated sequel project is finally moving forward. "Before, I would just say that because they told me," Duchovny said. "But now I've been talking to Chris and he's been giving me progress reports. He actually called yesterday and said next week we should have something." Duchovny added that he's looking forward to bringing back Mulder because "he's cool." Filming for the proposed stand-alone film would begin in November, with an eye toward release in the summer of 2008, he said. I gotta admit, this has me a little stumped. First, I have no idea how the series ended other than the fact that Lucy Lawless was brought in at some point. Maybe in the sci-fi world that's a sign a series is going to end--just look at Battlestar Galactica. But that's besides the point. I'm just trying to figure out how the story is going to flow after so many characters were introduced and after such a prolonged absence. Will anyone remember what's going on? And at the same time, I kind of like the idea of seeing Scully and Mulder again.

13 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

Duchovny needs to pay the rent. He is Mulder and has to accept that. I stopped watching when Mulder went off too, that Dogget fella couldn't catch a cold never mins aliens.

avery said...

That's exactly when I stopped watching, too. But, I'm still willing to take a chance. I miss the X-Files. That's what they're banking on, too -- huge proportions of geeked-out freaks like myself piling into the movie theater for a nostalgic trip back to the nineties.

Oh, wait. The nineties. That's when Ace of Base was popular.

Maybe it's not such a hot idea after all.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Lucy Lawless was on Veronic Mars and that got cancelled, too. OMG, she's the female equivalent of Ted McGinley!

Sarah said...

I watched for one full season after Mulder stopped being in all the episodes... then I watched the episodes leading up to the finale. I LOVED X-files. But Mulder was just too integral to the show-- it wasn't the same show without him.

I've got seasons 1-5 on DVD. I'd definitely watch a movie.

SQT said...

Awww, I love you guys.

I'll go see it to. Mulder is one of my all time favorite characters. And the Scully-Mulder partnership never got old to me. That could be why I couldn't watch someone else in Mulder's place.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Okay...so the series died and rotted...but dammit...yes. I care. I care. I want another movie. I want the film to be about the invasion..the ultimate final attack and showdown. I want everything they've teased us with but never delivered and I want it writ huge.

avery said...

Amen, Stewart! And if there's even a hint of the cigarette-smoking-man-turned-shaman, I'm chucking something large and unwieldy at the screen.

Matt said...

A couple years ago I got the entire X-Files DVD set as a gift. I went back and started watching all the episodes but I definitely preferred the stand alone episodes to the story ones (and I didn't even bother watching any episodes after Mulder left).

Maybe it's just me but I liked the shows when they were funny and lighthearted (favorites being the pizza delivering vampire episode - Bad Blood - and the shape changer who steals Mulder's identity in Small Potatoes). I hope the movie picks up on some of that.

Alex said...

When your career is going nowhere, at least you can always make another X-Files movie.

What was the big deal with this show, anyway. I watched quite a few episodes, and it seemed pretty mediocre to me. Like M. Knight Shyamalamadingdong's "Signs."

Andrew J Robertson said...

I'm pretty excited about this. It should have much more to it than the previous movie.

I'm going to need to catch up and watch the entire series straight through though. And that's a lot of work...

SQT said...

I think this is one you need to give more time to grow on you Alex. It took me awhile too.

reagu said...

I thought that the first X-file movie was no better than any of the episodes on TV. So it was just so-so to me. Now that the show has been off the air for a few years, this movie might rekindle my interest.

Alex said...

"I think this is one you need to give more time to grow on you Alex. It took me awhile too."



That may well be. Which is the best season? I watched enough to know basically how the story has gone from beginning to end, so I can jump right in anywhere.

If I can get through a full season without becoming bored, I will probably end up liking the show.