Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Stars Are RIght


Self Promotion. Yeah, it's tacky. But I figure if SQT draws a thumb down she can delete this and no one will be the wiser.

What am I promoting? The publishing of two of my short stories in upcoming anthologies. "The Others" in a collection of sea-faring tales all of which deal with the Cthulhu mythos, entitled "High Seas Cthulhu" (by Elder Signs Press), and "Children of the Mountain" in a collection from Chaosium (the people who own the Call of Cthulhu roleplay game) entitled "Frontier Cthulhu". Want more information, you can also try going to William Jones', the editor, blog.

Now some of you may be scratching your heads and wondering what the mythos is. Simply put, it's an idea popularized by H.P. Lovecraft, that at one time the world as we know it was ruled by an alien race, so radically different from us as to shake our sanity were we to be exposed to their presence. Something happened in a past eon to push these things out of our world and our reality. However, they wait. And wait. And either by magic, or happenstance, the day will come when these creatures, such as the great Cthulhu, return to reclaim what is rightfully theirs. And mankind? We're nothing but pointless husks to be discarded at their leisure.

So how can this idea (which was not done justice by me) serve to spark numerous short story collections, a novel or two, and influence several writers and film makers? I think its because this idea of the insignificance of man weighed against the enormity of the universe sparks something primal. Also, it's spooky and the stuff of good campfire tales.

Ultimately, if you are a stranger to Lovecraft and his ilk, I strongly recommend checking out some of his writing (available on the web or in paperback form at most bookstores). I also recommend checking out some of the more contemporary writers who have taken this theme and used it for their own...someone like...well, like me.

So, there. That's my announcement. I'm making that same announcement on my own blog, but I figured there are plenty people who visit this site who are into science fiction and horror who don't visit my site. And I don't know, I guess I thought being a regular contributor to this blog entitled me.

So go on...go order a copy. I'll be here waiting.

Well?

4 comments:

SQT said...

You're entitled Stewart. And I look forward to getting my copy.

sfgirl said...

Congrats on the pub! Cool!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

How cool!

Hey there, Skippy said...

Congratualations, we are riddled with envy.