Sunday, June 03, 2007

Scully Part Deux

I was watching Dresden Files the other night (I'm still finishing the season on Tivo) and something occurred to me. Isn't the character of Connie Murphy pretty much a clone of Dana Scully? I mean, I'm on the second to the last episode of the season and Murphy still seems pretty determined not to believe in much of anything she sees with her own eyes. It's kind of like déjà vu. The only thing I wonder is how long are we going to have to believe that her character doesn't buy into any of the whole magic business? X-Files was on for what? 9 years? And Scully played the skeptic almost the whole time. I understand the need for a skeptic as a plot device since it allows the main character the opportunity to explain what exactly is going on for the tv audience. But it does make the character who has been put in the role of the eternal skeptic look like an idiot sometimes, doesn't it? Maybe it's just me.

6 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

I'm waiting for dresden files to finish so I can watch them all in like 1 week. Scully was my fav thing about x-files but not sure if the same character type would work in another series

Tina said...

Ya know, I loved Scully. I loved Mulder. I loved the X-Files for nine long years (it might be the longest, monogamous relationship I've ever had). But there were times I totally wanted to smack her on the forehead and scream "Wake up! Open your EYES!!"

SQT said...

I totally loved Scully too. I think that's why it bugged me when her character was so deliberately dense about some stuff.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Isn't there going to be a new X Files movie?

SQT said...

There are rumors floating around about another movie, but I don't think there's anything definitive yet.

avery said...

I was a big X-Files fan, so my first reaction to your comparison of Murphy to Scully was indignation; I just don't like Murphy (the TV character, not the novel character). She just plays the role as a stereotypical, over-the-top, tough-chick cop. Maybe she was a stage actor and is getting used to the small screen, but everything she does is BIG and LOUD (and annoying).

But, now that my emotional tirade is over, I see your point; she does mirror Scully's attitudes quite a bit.