Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sci Fi in Strange Places


There is some odd stuff out there.

Really odd stuff.

And it's on the Internet!

The first clip that I have for you is from a movie called Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam, though it's more commonly known as Turkish Star Wars.

This bootleg movie stars a man who just kicks the crud out of everything in sight. It's amazing. My favorite part is when he tears the arm off that giant muppet and then starts beating the thing with it.


I wish that I could tell you what's going on, but my knowledge of the Turkish language is limited to telling you that the rabbit is in the woods.

Our second clip is from Japanese Spider-Man. In 1978, Marvel signed a deal to have a Japanese version produced and aside from the powers and costume, it doesn't have a thing to do with the American version. This Spider-Man got his powers from an alien and flew around in a ship that transforms into a big robot.



The last one is Superman teaming up with Spider-Woman to sing, dance and beat up muggers in the park. It's kind of funny, but it just goes on and on.


I am not sure what conclusions, if any, we can make make from watching these. Maybe we should be grateful for our regular, everyday sci fi.

9 comments:

sfgirl said...

WOW! Shades of those old Godzilla movies. Remember them?

Fab said...

That Bollywood superhero clip! I can only comment with: goodness gracious me!

Carl V. said...

Those kind of make me appreciate the awful movies that the Sci Fi Channels play endlessly...

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I wanted to elaborate on the Turkish Star Wars a bit but I was pounding this out in a tired haze last night. There is another scene on Youtube featuring actual scenes from the Death Star attack on Yavin interspliced with that guys jumping around and killing more monsters. The real Star Wars scenes get squished because of the change in aspect ratio and it has to be seen to be believed.

I honestly only know a little bit of Turkish, but as I understand it, the movie doesn't make much more sense to people who do speak it.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Let's leave it to Hollywood!

Spacerguy said...

Remember Captain Proton the fearless rescuer! with Buster Kincaid as his sidekick.

Based on 1930's science fiction, Captain Proton's mission in life was to conquer the dreadful Dr Chaotica and his evil minions.

Harry and Tom from Star Trek Voyager recreated their heroes on Voyager's Holodeck. Even Janeway got involved. What a hoot!

Hey there, Skippy said...

Jon, this is a brilliant post - too funny for words!

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thanks..this was fun. I am always surfing looking for this sort of stuff to amuse my infantile mind..and I mean that in a good way.

Steve said...

I remember that!