Friday, June 01, 2007

GASP!

Oh no! Say it ain't so! Well, Crunchy can say "I told you so," that's for sure. As she predicted, despite good ratings Battlestar Galactica will be ending sooner than most of us had hoped. Personally, I don't care that the last season might not have been its best, the show was still better than most sci-fi out there. But it appears that the Sci-fi channel is only giving it one more season. Battlestar Ending Next Season The producers of SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica confirmed that the upcoming fourth season will be the show's last. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick said that it was a creative decision to end the acclaimed series with the upcoming 22-episode season. "This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end," Eick and Moore said in a statement on May 31. "Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there: We're going out with a bang." In November, a special two-hour Battlestar episode, "Razor," will air. The fourth season kicks off in early 2008. At last month's Saturn Awards, Edward James Olmos said that the upcoming season would be the show's last, prompting Eick to say at the time that no decision had been made. "I promise you that when Ron and I make a decision about Galactica's future, we'll let you know," he said then. Well, I hope they at least give the damn thing a good ending. In a completely unrelated aside, the lovely Mist1 of To Do: 1. Get Hobby, 2. Floss (funny funny blog; a must visit) sent me the link to a funny sci-fi related post over at Fireflies in the Clouds, check it out if you get the chance.

10 comments:

Tori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carl V. said...

I don't watch the show (I know, blasphemy!!!) but it did come as a surprise to me to hear this. I know MANY who love the show and I am sure the disappointment will be shared by all. Hopefully they can utilize that remaining episodes to craft a worthy end to the series.

Is it just me, or in todays television landscape does four seasons, regardless of how well done, seem like failure?

(oops, had to delete the above comment...had accidently posted under my daughter's account. No reason to throw her under the bus!)

SQT said...

Well Carl, I can't hold it against you too much, I haven't watched Heroes yet. I couldn't follow so many shows this year so I decided to wait until I can get it on Netflix and catch up later.

4 season's does seem like failure anymore. Especially when shows like Stargate have been on 10 seasons.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It looks like it has been decided to end it when it is still good quality. Some series will drag on for years.

My 100th TWQ is on now. I hope you have your dinner guest selection.

Fab said...

Oh, no. And they only started airing the first episodes two weeks ago (finally) on our tv channels in Europe!

ShadowFalcon said...

Oh no!!!!!!!!1 I love Battlestar its not fair

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Man, they're just perpitratin' because farscape only lasted 4 seasons. What a rip off.

Actually, it's rather unfortunate. I don't watch it, either (no cable), but I have season one queued up.

And I don't see how Stargate has made it this long. The original movie got panned and I have only seen a few of the episodes. There must be a big audience somewhere or maybe a cache of blackmail photos. I don't know.

Sarah said...

Yeah, I don't know how crap shows make it so many seasons and BSG ends early.

On the other hand, there's only so long they can drag out "let's find Earth" before it gets lame, and it seems like the writers are aware of this and are concerned with their show having a discernible arc. Which is good. I was a HUGE X-Files fan, and I think we can say that the final 3 season?? ... Bad idea. When you're a show with a mythology there's only so long you can go before you begin to compromise it.

Still I think they could have managed five or six seasons. It sucks.

sfgirl said...

Farscape (my favorite show on TV) was originally slated for five seasons (complete with character and story arcs) but was cut after season four. There must be something about that number. If a show gets beyond it, it's as good as permanent (look at Stargate, though even it is singing the swan song...) If you're a scaper, check out my website for a review of the show (www.ninamunteanu.com)

marsha said...

I am not happy about this....not happy at all. I made that fan video and everything....Nooooo!!! don't take my favorite show away..