Monday, May 14, 2007

Spiderman 3


I managed to see the movie as my Mom's Day treat with MY mom.

I am always torn up about these types of films.

My husband has spent a lifetime writing about these movies. He usually knows the background inside and out and that has left him a tad cynical and usually unable to just sit back and 'enjoy' a show.

I don't see movies with him anymore.

On a level of pure entertainment...I really enjoyed it. It is a LONG movie and I probably could have done with LESS angst from Pete and MJ (I cannot stand what they did with her character).

But the action sequences are fantastic. Flint Marko is great...I like what they did with the character origin and the sand effects are simply amazing. It has a great comic book feel to the action...and the quips and one liners are VERY Spidey.

Venom is scary and I actually wish there had been more of the suit and Eddie Brock.

My main complaint is that the 'comedy' that they have tried to introduce feels forced and awkward. Though seeing Tobey Maguire try to be funny and SLICK was entertaining...I just didn't think the Venom suit would make you a total doofus.

I don't want to spoil it for those who have not yet seen the movie, but I really don't want J. Jonah Jamieson to be a comedic foil.

We meet Gwen Stacey in this 'episode' and I think they did a great job with her. The actress looks just like she should and I am glad they didn't TOTALLY dumb her down. She comes across as a genuine and 'nice' person. Pete should be with her and not frumpy MJ.

So I managed to enjoy it. I didn't look too deep and I didn't listen to all my husbands stories of behind the scenes news and all the issues and complaints that the 'real' fans complain about.

Let me know what you thought about it!


10 comments:

SQT said...

Thanks for the review Crunchy! I am looking forward to seeing this. Angst pretty much goes along with the series so I might be able to tune that out to some degree. But it does get old somethimes.

I can't wait to see how Venom looks.

Fab said...

I saw it this week-end and I liked it. Not to spoil it for others, I just wanted to say that the thing I got confused about in the trailer resolved. I mistook Topher Grace! Probably due to the hearcut.

mist1 said...

Can I tell you what bothered me about the movie?

There was too much romance. The calling and leaving messages scenes made me squirm. That is why I'm single.

Lee said...

I am irrationally curmudgeonly about going to the movie theatre, so I'll have to wait for DVD.

Peter P said...

The acting was slightly better than the writing.

Avery DeBow said...

I haven't seen it, yet. I can't get over the fact that Lowell is the sand guy, though. How menacing is that?

Carl V. said...

Overall I was pretty disappointed. The forced humor (you put that very well) really detracted from the story for me as did having way too many characters/storylines going at once and not treating any of them with the kind of time that would have made them completely satisfying. It wasn't horrible, but it was the weakest of the three Spiderman films and one that just left me feel sad.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o disappointed by this film. I think it would have worked so well had they dropped the Sandman and concentrated on Venom and Peter's dark side. And by dark side, I don't mean his dancing skills.

We learned with Batman Returns that too many villains dilutes the personal challenges. Had they dropped Sandman, Raimi could have focused on developing Brock and creating him as a foil for Peter. Hell...even the Gwen Stacy thing was a toss off, hastily and poorly handled.

But after seeing extended previews for Fantastic Four, I promise you I would rather watch Spiderman 3 again...and again...and again...than watch the further bastardization of the Fantastic Four. I mean, according to reliable sources, Galactus has relegated to being represented by a nebulous cloud. Riiight.

The Curmudgeon said...

I haven't (and probably won't) see it unless I stumble across it on cable some day BUT Youngest Son (14) loved it -- Middle Son (almost 20) was disappointed.

I was thinking that this was a sign of budding maturity and discretion on Middle Son's part (given the movie's near universal pans by professional critics) until I found that he was most displeased with what he perceived as unauthorized departures from the comic book cannon.

At least he perceived departures from the comic book cannon... Youngest Son did not.

Archangeln said...

From what I understand, Raimi wanted the villaint to only be Sandman, but they pushed Venom onto him.

Sandman is a cool character, I am sure Raimi wanted to use someone only fans would know about or some such.

However to appeal to the mass audience and used just Venom.

Venom is who everyone wanted to see.

I like that Eddie Brock/Venom was played by a guy who from a distance could pass for Tobeys brother....