Monday, May 07, 2007

Joss Whedon Does Good



Yesterday we hit the local comic book store as it was Free Comic Book Day. I don't think we actually picked up any of the free books, but picked up the last two issues of Astonishing X-Men, written by Joss Whedon and drawn by John Cassaday.

This was the job that Whedon was born to do. This is the best X-Men series probably ever written.

Whedon is obviously a long time fan of the series. His treatment of the characters is reverent. He r
emembers details from stories written twenty years ago. For someone who started back in the Claremont days.....this comic is better than sex.

Remember Colossus and Kitty? All the old baggage is there today....reminds me of my teen years reading the books.

Cyclops is still a messed up dude....but now he is messed up with Emma Frost.

I really cannot say enough about this book. The storylines are well crafted and filled with the great one liners that he does so well. He remains true to the characters and at the same time add and develops new traits or actions and they make sense instead of you going wtf! He respects the past hashing out of how their powers work. He tries to have their powers make sense.

He doesn't try to rewrite history.

Go read it. The best way to do so is pick up the Trade Paperbacks and enjoy them all at once.


8 comments:

SQT said...

I haven't read comic books in years, but this sounds good. I may have to go to the book store later...

Crunchy Carpets said...

they are the only books that I hug with joy after reading them...

I mean it..they cause such a massive GEEKOUT in me....sad really.

avery said...

I need to pick up a copy. I've never been into comics, but I'm a (I don't care how many people snort or roll their eyes) a die hard Joss fan. And you nailed the reason why -- he treats his stories with reverence.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go tend my shrine.

cooltopten said...

Sometimes I think we forget how much fun it can be to pick up a comic book and just be like a big kid again :)

Alex said...

"We don't talk about Joss Whedon around here that often."

Irony: 1
SQT: 0

SQT said...

Yes Alex, the one post since I made that comment totally proves your point. I'm sure if I go back, something like 95% of my posts are about Joss Whedon. It's all Whedon all the time around here.

Alex said...

I'm glad you could lay aside your sarcasm for a moment to recognize that I am correct, as usual.

SQT said...

Lol. As usual.