Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Joke's On You





The Joker first appeared in Batman in the 1940's. His character was inspired by actor Conrad Veidt's silent film "The Man Who Laughed". As a comic book villain, Joker has gone through several incarnations, the most disastrous being Caesar Romero's clownish portrayal in the sixties' television show. Nicholson gave us back some of Joker's menace, but only some. His portrayal was too much Nicholson being Nicholson.

But now we are being treated to Heath Ledger. I admit, I was wary when I heard his name. However, my doubts are slowly being worn away. Batman: The Dark Knight is in production, and the first of the images for the film are being leaked to the media.

Joker has evolved into one of the most evil figures in comicdom. Joker is genius incarnate, evil, seductive, the manipulative powers of Hannibal Lecter with the grandiosity of Adolph Hitler.

7 comments:

SQT said...

I loved Batman Begins. I hope the newest one is as good as the first. The images of the Joker for this are a good sign in my mind. The Joker needs to be scary not cartoonish, which is a hard thing to pull off with a character like that.

ShadowFalcon said...

I loved ABtman begins as well but and worried about Heather Ledger being the joker, what was wrong with mark hamil?

DesLily said...

I have a hard time commenting on new movies since getting out to see them is rare. (last one I saw in the theater was the last harry potter)..

I'm not sure how scarey I want the villians from comic books. but I'm from the old school there too... I haven't seen or read a comic book since I was a kid. I think once I was thinking of reading some and then saw the prices on them! duh! I can get a hard back book for some of the prices!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

The Joker has been a great character for a loooong time.

I grew up with Cesar Romero as the Joker, of course. It seemed a bit odd that all of a sudden he went from that cackling goofball to a guy who shot Barbara Gordon in the spine and blew up Jason Todd. There was a lot of development in between, of course.

Mark Hamill is a great Joker, I don't know if he could pull it off on the big screen, though.

We'll see how Keith Ledger is. It could work.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I think he will be frikking scary....he is good at that sort of thing...

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Joker must be one of the most evil in Comicdom.

avery said...

I, too, loved Batman Begins. Again, never really a comic fan, but that movie seemed to draw Batman away from the previous movies' silliness and (Holy Uma forgive me), away from bad characters.

The promo shots of the new Joker do, indeed, look promising.