Monday, May 07, 2007

Favorite Moments

URF (Urban Fantasy Reader) came through for me and gave me an idea for today's post. Whew! Sooo, I am going to list some of my favorite moments in sci-fi/fantasy movies and television. This is NOT a best of list; it's simply the stuff I like. Luke Skywalker Blows up the Death Star: I am not objective when it comes to Star Wars. This movie was a huge influence during my formative years and there is no question that I wouldn't be the sci-fi fantasy nut I am today if not for this movie. As much as I like Han Solo (and who doesn't?) I still have to pick the moment when Luke fires the shot that blows up the Death Star as my favorite scene. It might seem kind of cheesy now, but when I was a kid the whole set up was great. Luke, hearing Obi-Wan's voice saying "use the force," turns off the targeting computer, fires the shot that blows up the massive sphere and sends Darth Vader spinning off into space. I still want to cheer when I see it. Doogie Howser Reads the Mind of the Brain Bug: Okay, it wasn't Doogie, but rather actor Neil Patrick Harris who starred in 1997's Starship Troopers. But I guess he'll always be Doogie Howser to me. Starship Troopers is one of those movies that people either seem to love or hate. I think it's great for what it was and it has lots of memorable moments. But who can forget Doog...er... I mean Harris's character Carl when he walks up to the Brain Bug (the one that sucks out people's brains...) in his SS trench coat, puts his hand on the bug and says "it's afraid....it's afraid!?" Linda Hamilton's one-handed shotgun reloads in Terminator 2: I'm still kind of obsessed with Linda Hamilton's arms. I wish I could figure out how to get my workout just right so mine could look like that. But I digress. I don't know anything about guns, but I loved the scene in Terminator 2 when Linda Hamilton has to load and pump a shotgun with one arm. I don't know why it looks so tough, but it does. Picard Becomes a Borg: I am a particular fan of Star Trek TNG and Patrick Stewart is probably the main reason why. Not only is he a great actor, but that voice.... For some reason I found it particularly fascinating when he was captured by the Borg and turned into one of them. It's not that I wanted him to stay that way. But he was such a strong character and seeing him turned into such a creature was seriously creepy, yet still cool somehow. I actually cared about the character and even though you knew he'd be rescued, the show still managed to make you worry about him. Not many shows can make me feel that kind of suspense anymore. Elle Driver Explains the Effects of the Bite of the Black Mamba: I love Darryl Hannah in Kill Bill. She plays the character of Elle Driver with such unrepentant sadism that I can't help but be amazed that I still find the character interesting. I would love to know the back story on that woman. There are a lot of scenes that are memorable in this movie, but the one that sticks out the most is when Elle surprises Budd (Michael Madsen) with a deadly Black Mamba she has hidden in a suitcase full of money. After the snake bites Budd she calmly reads the symptoms of a Black Mamba bite to Budd while he is writhing in pain saying, "Now, you should listen to this, 'cause this concerns you." Her character could almost convince me in the existence of pure evil. Caprica Six Taunts Gaius Baltar: Caprica Six and Gaius Baltar are probably my favorite characters on Battlestar Galactica. I loved watching Gaius squirm during season one while he would try to appear normal while Caprica Six would whisper in his ear and sometimes even physically goad him. These two characters still interest me even as Starbuck and Apollo fall into more stereotypical roles. Their relationship is by turns sexy and tortured and I can't wait to see where they end up. As usual, I'm doing a late night posting, so I'm going to end my list here for now. Besides, there are moments beyond count that I could mention and more that I am forgetting. I'd rather hear what sticks out in your mind and what little piece of cinema makes your top 10.

18 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

Fave Star Wars moment - when Jaba say s in his language "the Mighty Chew-Baa-Caa"

gets me everytime...

Fab said...

At the movie theatre, I think it was First Contact (Star Trek), the movie only started about 5 minutes and Picard splashed water in his face and looks up in the mirror and sees a borg thingy pop out of his cheek (but at that moment I didn't knew he dreamed)- man, I think I jumped up like a little child. That made an impression on me. (And the people around me).

It was so ... girly of me.

avery said...

My favorite Star Wars moment would have to be split between the Sand People/Ben scene and Hahn shooting Greedo in the cantina.

I'm going to have to add the Gandalf in Moria scene where he does the "You shall not pass," thing.

And now I'm going to go old school with Krull. I always liked the scene where the cyclops lets the mountain crush him because he'd already seen his own fate and accepted it.

UFR said...

Glad I coul help out a bit with your blog block.

Some of my favorite scifi/fantasy movie moments are as follows:

The scene in ET where they go flying in front of the moon. It is really an awe inspring moment.

The end of Return of the King when the newly crowned Aragorn approches Frodo and the other Hobbits and the start to bow before him and he stop them and says No. You bow before no one and then King Aragorn and everyone else bows before the Hobbits. I don't have many girly moments in movies, but I was in tears during the 10 ending of ROTK the first time I saw it.

The scene in Jurrassic Park when the T-Rex is chasing everyone in the Jeep. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

I love the scene in Aliens when the Queen alien is going after Newt and the giant doors slide open and Ripley is in the load lifter suit and says Get away from her you bitch! You just had to cheer at that moment.

Archangeln said...

Wow, Favorite moments in Sci-Fi....

A new one owuld have to be River looking at all the guards with the blood dripping off the weapons....

As for Star Wars? I think the great moment in all the movies is the beginning....mainly because who cant close their eyes and feel chills when the music starts....

Another scene I liked out of the LoTR trilogy was in the first one.
Boromir, fighting off the Urukai, refusing to give up, knowing he was dying, but sacrificing himself because he knew he had been tricked by the one ring.

A favorite scene in a movie that is not sci fi? Ronin, when Robert Deniro starts grilling the guy about the color of the boatdocks at Hereford...when he slinks off, the Russian asks him "What color are the boatdocks?" and Robert DeNiro answers "How the hell should I know" I found that infinately amusing

Hey there, Skippy said...

Splendid post...

Mine own faves tend to be the one-liners:

Return of the Jedi - Han, Leia and co. run into the Shield Generator on Endor, only to be captured by Imperial guards, the leader of whom then speaks my all time favourite line of any movie: "You rebel scum". It's the way he says it; purest, purest contempt.

LOTR: FOTR Arwen has carried Frodo acros the river, being pursued by the Nazgul, who demand,"Give up the halfling She-Elf", which is quite clearly Mordorish for "Beeyotch". And then Arwen just says, "If you want him..." and there's this perfect pause, "...Come and claim him", which is clearly Elvish for "I will pop a cap in yo ass".

Buffy - There are so many awesome moments in this show, but I never ever tire of the moment when Buffy meets Dracula: "I am DRACULA!" Brief pause from Buffy, then: "Get out!"

Doctor Who - From the old series, when Sylvester McCoy played the 7th Doctor. Running away from the Daleks, the Doctor dashes up a flight of stairs, knowing, like all fans of the show, that Daleks can only move over flat surfaces. But then... THE DALEK FLIES UPSTAIRS, thereby depriving millions of British children of their one and only escape plan should a Dalek ever attack them at school.

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves: Alan Rickman;s Sheriff of Nottingham bursts into the Witch's (Geraldine McEwan) den in a fury, and smashes up her black altar, stabbing his dagger repeateldy into the stone. She watches calmly, cocks her head to one side, and then says, "Something vexes thee?"

And thatn bit in any of the Spiderman movies where the film ends and I can leave the theatre.

Alex said...

They came from... behind!

avery said...

The best part of Prince of Thieves for me is when Nottingham's cousin mulls the sheriff's earlier threat and says, "Why a spoon, Cousin? Why not an axe?" The sheriff gives him that clearly contemptuous glare and says, "Because, it's dull, you twit. It will hurt more."

mist1 said...

I loved that scene in Kill Bill.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Linda Hamilton in T2 is a big favourite, as is Elle Driver. Picard as a Borg, for some reason sounds scary!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

As for me, all scenes with Galadrial in during the LOTR trilogy were special.

So were the scenes in the Extended Edition introducing the hobbits.

avery said...

My parents have this weird fascination with Randy Quaid in Independence Day. I get a little ill every time my dad says (with all the enthusiasm given to the scene by our beloved Cousin Eddie), "In the words of my generation, 'Up Yours!'"

Who knew Darryl Hannah could be such a badass? I pretty much love every second of Kill Bill, but the scene with Bill and Beatrix during her wedding rehearsal is chilling in its serenity.

DesLily said...

ohhh Avery took my most recent favorite.. I cannot get gandalf out of my mind with the balrog "you shall not pass"..at that moment I wouldn't want to meet him on a sunny day let alone in a dark cave!

Carl V. said...

"I am not objective when it comes to Star Wars."

Amen! And we shouldn't have to be, should we?

Great list, btw.

Alex said...

des, I've always had a scene shortly after the bridge at Khazad Dun stuck in my head: it's where Gandalf has fallen covering for everyone who escaped from Moria only to collapse from exhaustion and heartache outside. When the mournful aria comes creeping into the background, and all the hobbits are curled up, sobbing, even the coldest heart has to melt.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

The thing about Picard as a Borg was that all of these dramatic elements were established in that story -- Picard is Borgified, Riker become the Captain, but in the end the Big Reset Button is pressed and after a short holliday, Picard is back at being the Cap.

Great story, but then there's this sort of "It doesn't matter, everyting is back to normal" feeling. Riker should've remained captain and Picard should have retired -- but then you really can't do that in the show.

Another great moment is when Ripley tells the Alien Queen to leave Newt alone. Throughout the movie, Ripley grows into this really strong character and it culminates right then an there inside the dock strapped to a power loader.

DesLily said...

Alex: Gandalf (and other certain sorcerers) melt my heart all the time! I love Galdalf..even before the movies came out...and I do think Ian McKellan was the BEST!

thanks for the sob.. sheesh, like I needed it! lol

Scotty said...

Hmmmm.

In Aliens, Hudson says, "Hey, Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?" to which she replies, "No, have you?

In the movie, I Robot...
Will Smith: You are a clever imitation of life. Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot take a blank canvas and turn it into a masterpiece?
Sonny the robot : Can you?

And that bit in Armageddon where the guy is asked to "get off the nuclear device."