Monday, April 09, 2007

For Our Impoverished American Readers...


... we have some good news! BBC America will be screening the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood and spy drama MI5, known in the UK as Spooks, later this year. Torchwood will join the rather good Buffy-inspired Hex and a couple of other shows in a Saturday evening strand called (in what we must assume is a total failure of imagination and not just BBC America trying to annoy me) "Supernatural Saturdays. More after the jump...

BBC America are going to be theming most of their programming now (see here for full details) and there's plenty for sci-fi fans to enjoy. Spy drama MI5 qualifies as sci-fi in the same way as James Bond does and is worth watching for the same reasons (pretty people and cool bad guys) and because it really is insanely tense. Torchwood spins the Captain Jack Character off from Doctor Who, which delighted bisexuals across the known universe (see picture for evidence) and, whilst it's a bit ropey at first, it's pretty ace by the last episodes of the season. Hex I'm less familiar with but it's essentially a witchcraft-in-highschool affair and, according to some good friends whose judgement I trust (despite them being my friends) it's jolly good.

I also want to reccomend Waking the Dead on BBc America, which isn't sci-fi at all, but rather is like the clever, non-irritating version of the bastard love child of CSI and Cold Case (try not think about that too long, just enjoy the show - especially for the fact that the two main characters are... OVER 55 years old!!!!!)

10 comments:

Fab said...

Torchwood is quite good, as you said, but you have to get into it. Yeah, the final episodes of the series are the best.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I will have to see if BBC Canada are getting it.

it makes me nuts..our national broadcasting co..CBC actually is a paying partner of Doctor Who and we still are not getting to see the shows in any regular way.

I wish our sci fi channel (The Space Channel) would actually buy it instead of the usual dreck.

UFR said...

I've just started watching Torchwood and Hex on YouTube. The last episode of Torchwood I watched, Cyberwoman, was really good. Hex has been okay. I've read that the second season of Hex is really good, so I'm looking forward to making my way through the series.

I may check out Spooks/M15 too.

cooltopten said...

Its great that you guys , can now see The new Doctor who ect..I watched Dr who the other night here in the Uk and you are in for a treat, really good fun.Happy easter guys.

SQT said...

I am really looking forward to seeing Torchwood.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Warning: Torchwood is quite adult, not at all like Dr Who.

Waking The Dead is a favourite of mine. Highly recommended.

Morgen said...

Not having cable, I will have to await the arrival of Torchwood on DVD.
But I've seen some video clips of John Barrowman in it and YOWSA what hot scenes!!!

Fab said...

I have to second Cooltopten on Dr Who by adding the man's favourite shout: cowabonga! Great episode last Saterday.

Hageltoast said...

I liked Torchwood, didn't really think Buffy and Hex have much in common but love them both.

Alex said...

Torchwood is decent. It's nowhere near as cool as the new Doc Who, though. I can't wait for the next episode (the one set in New New York); it looks like they're retuning to the type of storytelling that made the original Dr. Who so much fun.

I should check out Hex.