Monday, April 02, 2007

Crummy Computers and the Google Gods

Well, I'm limping along on a computer that's showing me about half the screen. We've tried over the last few months to get the thing fixed, but it has decided to tell us in no uncertain terms that it is through with us and we better find a replacement. We've ordered a new computer and I expect we'll have it in a day or two. So please bear with me until then. I had a post about half written when this all came about, so I'm going to try to finish what I had started. I don't know If I will be successful in getting this to post before the computer completely craps out on me. If I do manage to post it, that means I have probably used up all my luck and will probably be staring at a black screen very soon. Anyway. Lately the Google Gods have been good to me. I've been getting quite a few more hits than I used to. In the past I was lucky if I got 6-10 hits a day off of the Google search engine and now I'm getting over 200 hits a day, largely sent to me by Google. Why? I haven't a clue. One curious thing I have noticed is that most of my traffic is due to one search in particular. Female action heroes. Oh, I will sometimes get search terms that mention things like thongs or bondage, but we don't need to go into detail on that. But 10 to 1 the Google searches that lead people to my blog are about female action heroes. Curious. But rather than repeat the past, I thought I'd mention a few more of my favorite women, and see if Google responds. But this time I'm going to mention the bad girls. The villainesses. Yeah. Elle Driver: By far my favorite character in the Kill Bill movies was Elle Driver. Darryl Hannah played Elle with such unrepentant sadism and relish, how could you not love to hate this woman? I honestly had no idea that Darryl Hannah had such a dark side until I saw this movie and I couldn't wait to see what she was going to do next. I loved her obvious anger when she was not allowed to kill an unconscious Beatrix Kiddo and her cool indifference after Michael Madsen had been bitten by a Black Mamba. Ever since I saw Kill Bill, I've wanted to dress up as Driver for Halloween, I just haven't had the opportunity- yet. Mystique: My avatar kind of says it all doesn't it? I've always thought Mystique was cool, though I didn't really like how she looked until I saw the drawings Mike Mayhew had done for Marvel Comics. Mystique is a woman I think many of us can relate to on some level. Shunned most of her life for being different she still manages to survive and get a little vengeance where she can. She's no saint, but she's not always a sinner either; and mostly, she plays by her own rules. Bond Villainesses: So far, the villainesses of James Bond, that I can think of, are a little bit stereotypical, but a lot of fun. These women like to use men and prove their superiority in any way possible. Maybe they are a means to allow Bond his casual misogyny. At any rate, I like them and I don't even mind seeing them get their comeuppance from Bond. Not very feminist of me ( I know Alex), but oh well. Fatima Blush Xenia Onatopp May Day Elektra King Caprica Six: Who knew Cyborgs could be so seductive? Tricia Helfer is awesome as Caprica Six on the new BSG in my opinion. I'll never forget the mini-series that gave birth to the show. The scene in which Caprica Six looks at a crying infant in perplexity and does the unthinkable when she kills it-- no doubt justifying such a horrible act with the knowledge that mankind is soon to face eradication by the Cylons-- is flat-out horrifying. We should hate this character, both for what she has done and what she represents, and yet, somehow we can't help but look on in fascination as she evolves. Like the Sharon Valerii character, Six appears to be developing a sense of empathy for the humans. Her relationship with Gaius Baltar is both co-dependant and antagonistic-- and never less than fascinating. I had actually planned on writing about a few more women, but I swear I can see my computer slowly fading before my eyes. I'm going to pretty much throw this up and hope it posts. Tell me what women you would have liked to have seen on the list-- I can always expand on this topic later.

7 comments:

Lee said...

I thought that Queen in Snow White was Super Hot.

Peter P said...

SQT, HP outlet has some good deals, just to let you know.

I just bought a like-new business laptop for about $550 (~$1600 new).

http://www.hp.com/sbso/buspurchase_refurbished.html

cooltopten said...

Hope ya pc gets better soon :)

The Curmudgeon said...

Nothing to add on the villianess front... but 200 hits a day?

SQT -- I'm jealous!

I don't understand how any of this works, but Google tells me I'm still getting hits from searches for Thiago Olson (home fusion) and Chrissy Popadics (Boise State cheerleader).

But none of them stay and leave comments....

SQT said...

Curmudgeon

It's weird. I used to get almost no hits except for the lurkers and the regular visiters. But Google all of a sudden decided to start sending traffic. I wish I knew what I did.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You picked some super villanesses. Elle is excellent!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

hey i have no idea what google hits i ever got! don't know how to tell either, guess i'm too old to care too. ha ha ha

smiles, bee