Thursday, April 26, 2007

Booked by 3 Meme

My friend Deslily tagged me with a book meme and since books are some of my favorite things, I thought I'd play along. Name up the three characters you'd like to meet. Sookie Stackhouse: Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire novels are one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures. I unabashedly love these books despite their chick lit status and Sookie has become one of my favorite heroines. She's one of those people you'd like to have as a best friend; even though she can read your mind. She has a Southern sensibility and wit that makes her seem very real. James Bond: If he looked like Daniel Craig that is. I mean, wouldn't you? Lucas Davenport: John Sandford writes my favorite detective novels and the character of Lucas Davenport is just cool. He's aging, sometimes cranky and never afraid to get in someones face if he needs to. Name up to three characters you'd like to be. A Dragonrider of Pern: How cool would it be to have a telepathic dragon to ride around on? Kerowyn: I like the fantasy of Mercedes Lackey, at least the stuff before she decided to co-write a bazillion books with other authors. Kerowyn is one of her older characters. She starts out as a tougher-than-nails mercenary who finds out she has some magical abilities. If I'm going to be a fictional character, I like the idea of having some magic at my fingertips. Polgara: I liked David Eddings's books a lot more when I was younger, but Polgara would still be a pretty good person to be. She's powerful and gets her happy ending. What could be better than that? Name up to three characters who scare you. Pennywise: Clowns kind of give me the heebie jeebies anyway, but Stephen King created a doozy with Pennywise. Hannibal Lecter: Fascinating and scary. Not someone I would want to meet. Ever. Satan: Hey, the Bible is a book right? Actually, I can't count how many books I've read that have cast Satan as the main villain. And you know what? He's pretty much always scary. This was actually a ridiculously hard list. I didn't know who to pick for the "who I would want to be" category. Let's face it, most main characters don't exactly have an easy life. So this is what I came up with. I'm not going to tag anyone, though if anyone wants to volunteer.....

8 comments:

Quixotic said...

Ah Pennywise...yeah, he's pretty damn scary. Clowns tend to creep me out too.

Great set of answers! Being a Dragonrider of Pern would be pretty cool, you're right!

DesLily said...

Ohhh I forgot about Hannibal!.. he is more than scarey!

Lucas Davenport: John Sandford writes my favorite detective novels and the character of Lucas Davenport is just cool. He's aging, sometimes cranky and never afraid to get in someones face if he needs to.

Ummm are you sure this isn't Stewart??? (going to hide now!)

SolShine7 said...

Someone tagged me already. My list is at http://solshine7.blogspot.com/2007/04/ive-been-tagged.html

You're right, the "who I want to be" section was pretty hard to come up with.

Lee said...

You had me at Daniel.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I always liked Polgara as well.

Pennywise creeps a lot of people and has created many a clown-phobia.

SQT said...

Quixotic

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by.

Desliliy

Those are the qualities I like about Stu.

Solshine

Good list.

Lee

*sigh*

Jean-luc

Between Pennywise and the movie Poltergeist, clowns and way too high on my "scared of" list.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I'm a curmudgeon, what can I say? An interesting list, it makes me wish I had added Hannibal Lecter, except that they've done their best to dilute the character with the different sequels they've created.

I think another character who has frightened me before is Michael Meyers. I hope that Rob Zombie can do something new with the franchise when the new version is released this late summer.

Factor 10 said...

Great choices all around, but Sookie and the Dragonrider clinched it. I'll be debating my own answers all day now...