Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sci-Fi Characters I Don't Like So Much

This just struck me as something fun to do. Don't we all have characters that get on our nerves in certain movies? Well, here are a few that bug me-- tell me what you think. Jar Jar Binks: No explanation needed. What was George Lucas thinking? Anakin Skywalker: This character never really had a chance did he? Who on earth thought Jake Lloyd could act? And Anakin never really fared much better when Hayden Christiansen took over the role: though George Lucas really must take the blame for making all of his actors behave as woodenly as possible. But let's face it, Darth Vader was never really that interesting until he became Darth Vader. Cyclops: I almost feel sorry for Cyclops. Maybe I would have liked him better if Wolverine hadn't taken an instant dislike to him. But he just never seemed that tough despite his killer eyesight. And when you rank him against all the X-Men he unfortunately doesn't seem to measure up. Poor Scott. Elektra: I haven't read comic books in years, so I might like this character a lot more as she is meant to be. But I never cared for the Jennifer Garner version of the character. I know it probably seems like I have some sort of weird grudge against Garner, but I don't: I just don't think she can act. And I never thought Elektra's toughness came across convincingly in Daredevil or the movie Elektra. I mean, wasn't she killed pretty much in her first serious confrontation in Daredevil? Though I honestly don't know how tough she came across in her own movie since I couldn't force myself to sit all the way through it. Harry Osborn: As played by James Franco in the Spiderman movies. This guy just always comes across as spoiled and whiny to me. I know he is supposed to turn into the Green Goblin, like his father, at some point: but I wish he'd get on with it already and quit blaming Peter Parker and Spiderman for everything. Be a man already. Twiki: I know it's probably heresy for me to say it, but Twiki used to annoy the heck out of me. I admit I had the poor taste to like Buck Rodgers as a kid, but I drew the line at thinking Twiki was funny. For some reason a smart alec robot didn't work for me and the whole "Bidibidibidibidi" got old. Maybe I'm just cranky. Shannon Rutherford: Thank all that is good in the universe that Shannon Rutherford is no longer on Lost (sorry if any of you didn't know that). I despised this character from day one. Was she ever not snotty and annoying? I am going to be forever mystified by the fact that the producers of the show thought Sayid and her could ever make a convincing couple. No, no, I refuse to ever believe he could fall in love with her. I'm being very rational about this. Really. Gollum: I'm not even sure if I should put Gollum on this list because I don't think we were really meant to like him. But as the Lord of the Rings trilogy developed I got really tired of Gollum. One can only hear someone go on about my precious in an incredibly annoying voice before you want to hurt someone. Thank goodness Andy Serkis doesn't actually look or sound anything like Gollum, or I wouldn't be able to watch him in anything else. And all in all, I like Serkis, just not when he's doing that voice.

16 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I looove Cyclops. But then, I read X-Men comics too. And Wolverine's not exactly my favorite.
And James Marsden is freaking hott.. with 2 t's.

Characters I don't care for(besides some of those you listed):
~Neelix - from Star Trek: Voyager
~Bizzaro - from Superman comics
~The Stay-Puff Marshmellow Hulk - from The Hulk movie
~Pretty much the whole supporting cast of Supergirl, save Peter O'Toole's role as Zaltar.
~Lily Moore-Tyler - from The 4400.. She was such a bad actress, not many were disappointed when they killed her off.

SGT DUB said...

SQT, my precious, (hehe) couldn't resist. A good list overall, of course, we could probably go on forever, but I think you made a dent.

mist1 said...

Jar Jar Binks prevents me from ever watching the movie again.

Hey there, Skippy said...

Agree with you on pretty much all of them, SQT. I think Gollum, though, is great - I actually think that it's Frodo and Sam who make those scenes in the movies drag on so much. I confess, I FF through them when I watch LOTR on DVD (for SHAME!)

My list:

- Mace Windu (noble. boring.)
- Mary-Jane from Spiderman (just useless)
- Reed Richards (smug git)
- Data from Star Trek TNG (oh, my struggle to be human. sheesh. get over it)
- The entire cast, crew, and comissioning editors of "Space Precinct"

The Curmudgeon said...

When you think about how bad the Star Wars prequels were you appreciate just how good Harrison Ford was in the originals... watching them recently I was amazed at how awful the George Lucas dialog was... but Ford sold it.

You have a great list -- some I didn't know about because I didn't follow them.

Can I add?

Wesley Crusher -- can't believe you missed this one!

The Daleks -- I loved Dr. Who but (until the new series tried to invent an explanation) I always thought they could be defeated by any staircase. Build and Escher room and you'd destroy the Daleks entirely....

Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis. I know we're supposed to dislike him... but I keep rooting for him to get eaten... or at least to have his vocal cords removed....

Every Star Trek Captain in TOS other than Kirk. No wonder the Enterprise badge became standard for the entire Federation -- all the other graduates of the Academy turned out to be dolts at best or homicidal lunatics....

Top said...

Dath Vader was the only interesting character in the original Star Wars series. I rewatch them and wonder how these movies were hits. My most pet peeved characters were Tank, Apoc, Dozer and Switch in the 1st Matrix. They weren't believable at all.
I wasn't a big Han Solo fan either, but Ford as Indy, or as Dekker in Blade Runner, he's just too cool.

SQT said...

LOL

You guys are so funny!

Curmudgeon
I thought about Wesley Crusher, but decided to give the poor guy a break.

HTS
I fast forward through those scenes too. *shhhhhh*
And I am completely shamed that I forgot Mary Jane. She should have been first on the list.

Scifi Chick
I forgot about the Hulk, he did just look wrong in that movie.

jedimerc said...

Cyclops gets kind of a bad rap. His comic character is nothing like what he had to endure in the movies.

But I am ok with the rest of the choices, but I might be one of the few people on the planet that didn't absolutely hate JarJar... he was necessary in a strange way, the patsy if you will, a pawn of Darth Sidious who is easily led and helps start the Clone Wars (seen that way I feel much better about him :)

I think you are right we are not supposed to like Gollum anyways, but less of him would have been better... though necessary alas.

SQT said...

Jedi

You are totally right about Cyclops. He was kind of the whipping boy in the movies. The reason I put him on the list is because so many people seem to think he's kind of a wuss. I never hated him, but I never loved him either. I do think he's treated unfairly though...

SQT said...

I can't agree on Jar Jar though. He was just...wrong...

SolShine7 said...

Fun list! I think Jar-Jar should top it though. Someone should come up with a device to mute all his comments during the movie. Annakin is cute though, but it's kind of weird how he and Queen Amidala hook-up later on.

But I do like Cyclops, Harry Osborn and Gollum. I totally agree with Angela about James Marsden being "hott..with 2 t's." And James Franco is pretty hot. As far as Gollum goes, he's just an interesting character.

Good post!!!

Archangeln said...

The before Vader Anakin Skywalker peoples....SUCH A GOOD CHOICE!

Hayden Christiansen especially though....He was supposed to show us what turning to the dark side would be evil, all he did was convince me that in order to "fall" to the dark side all you needed to be was a whiny girl.

The Hulk movies...my god...lets not even get into the fact that they had a Hulk Poodle....

Gollum was necassary to the story, but yes, annoying as hell.

Jar Jar, well what can be said about a creature that is an idiotic oaf that somehow ends up as a pivot point for the downfall of the galaxy, can we say Lucas had to much in his pipe while writing?


Harry Osburn IS whiny and completely dependant on others, which is why he makes the perfect reincarnation of Green Goblin, it is the only way he can have his fathers approval. Once of course he joins his fathers madness....somehow...


Jennifer Gardner as Elektra...well enuff said...sheesh

I would add Dr. Doom though....taken from one of the Great villains of Marvel to a complete Joke by the movies...

Also the Klingon that quoted Shakespeare....ridiculous

Morgen said...

You have to admit that James Marsden has some excellent lips...

My list would be the entire cast of StarTrek: Enterprise except for Scott Bakula's Captain Archer. What the expletive deleted were they thinking with the rest of that cast????

and I fully agree with Mist1 with the "prevents me from watching that movie ever again" in relation to JarJar Binks.

SQT said...

Morgen
I will admit all day long that James Marsden is hot. Like I said in the post, I think Cyclops was unfairly disliked by Wolverine-- it was all about the girl. But it's hard not to let that whole storyline sway a person toward Wolverine, especially since he is supposed to be the hero of the film.

But James Marsden-- hot, definitely hot.

Heath said...

I was reading the original list and I just wanted to point this out. It is one of my pet peeves. Harry Osborne doesn't turn into the Green Goblin, he turns into the Hob Goblin. Thats what happens in the comics, its what happened in the movie, he just never really had a name. He never went by Green Goblin in the third movie.

SQT said...

Thanks Heath. I appreciate the clarification.