Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Challenge

3 posts in one day, what is the world coming to? You know, of course, that I will not be posting anything tomorrow... However, I am almost a week late with this, and Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings has issued a challenge and it's just too good for this blog to pass up. It's called the The Once Upon a Time Book Challenge. There's another link HERE that has some great suggestions for books to read. The basic idea is to commit to reading 5 books (though allowances are made for those who just don't have the time) from March 22 to Midsummer Night's Eve June 21st. They can be in any combination of the following genre's: Mythology, Folklore, Fairytale or Fantasy. There is also a special challenge to read A Midsummer Night's Dream, though it is by no means required. The funny thing is that I am already reading two books right now that fit right into the mythology category, since I have been thinking about writing a story based on Greek Mythology. So I am going to add some of my current reading to my list and add some other books I have on my to-do list. My list: The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart The Taste of the Night by Vicki Peterson All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris And if I have time, A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare I'm not attempting to keep my books in each of the categories since I already have most of these sitting in a pile to be read. I'm also currently reading a couple of encyclopedia's of Greek Mythology, so I'm rather loaded down. I hope a few of you (especially those who may not already read a lot of fantasy) take up the challenge. This one is pretty easy for me because I would have read these books anyway. But I like the idea of encouraging others to pick up a fantasy book and try something new. Let me know if any of you are inspired to take up the challenge, and forward your lists and I'll link them.

10 comments:

deslily said...

ummm I think I can count and that's 7 books (trilogy-3 duh lol)
No can do this challenge.. I have one book on it's way, and then no books until the end of April coming and those will be "re reads" (6 books Dragonlance in HB) Sure can't afford any more books for a while! LOL

SQT said...

Lol

Yeah, my list is a bit long. But the trilogy is in one book so I had to pretty much include it as one. I got the suggestion for the series from Lee and it sounds just too good to pass up.

Have you ever looked at some of the book trading websites? I think that might be good for you since you don't get a chance to get out much. I think (though I am not positive) that you just pay shipping so it's less expensive than buying the book. I think you can keep the books on most of the sites and you earn credits toward shipping when you trade some books of your own.

Here's a few sites I found.
What's on my Bookshelf?
Bookins
Sci-fi Book Trading Club

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Er, do children's books count?

If so, then I read 3 or 4 a day...

deslily said...

oh neat!... going to check the links now!

Fence said...

Mists of Avalon is a very good read, but I so didn't get it when I first read it. Then again I was probably too young to appreciate it. Reread it a few years ago and it was so much better than my memories of it.

Carl V. said...

Children's books DEFINITELY count! Some of the best fantasy out there right now is being written in the childrens/young adult arena.

Quixotic said...

Hello!

Interesting list - haven't read anything (bar Midsummer Night's Dream) you've listed, so will be interested to see what you think of them.

Alex said...

Wow! Grad school has obviously made me a big, fat snob:

-First I was going to post about how easy it would be to read five books in a month, when I'm reading about fifteen per week in grad school.

-Next I was going to make snide remarks about the (lack of) literary value in M. Z. Bradley's writing. The Mists of Avalon were, in fact, so meaningless - in a hit you over the head with the message way - that I didn't even bother to see the film adaptation. And I always see the film adaptation, if only to bitch about how bad it was.

-Finally I was going to curse at all of you who actually have time to read for fun. I'm lucky to have brainpower left to understand an episode of The Smurfs by the time I'm done studying for the week.


*sigh*

I need to find another way to live off the government while not doing anything different than what I would be doing anyway. Too bad the government doesn't give grants for drunken discussions about the metaphysics of Pratchett. I would be golden.

SQT said...

Alex

I'm glad to see you back.

You might be surprised, but I don't think you're being a snob. I hated Mists of Avalon the first time I tried to read it, but so many people have told me they love it I thought I'd try it again.

I'm kind of going through an Arthur and Greek Mythology phase, and Zimmer-Bradley just happened to have books that was in both these genre's so I thought I'd give them another shot. But I checked them out of the library instead of buying them.

I never used to have the time for fun reads either, though I always tried to squeeze it in. Call it a perk of being done with school. (though I don't boast a PhD)

SQT said...

Alex

I'm curious what you think of Ayn Rand. I always felt she hit you over the head with the point she was trying to make-- the way you describe Z. Bradley. Am I missing something?