Saturday, March 31, 2007

British Stiff Upper Lip and Sci Fi


Flicking around last night, we came across 1985's 'Lifeforce' - with Steve Railsback at his best (giggle). My hubs and I have a special place in our heart for this flick. Mainly because the style exemplifies the 'British vs. the Alien' genre.

You see it in the Dr. Who series. Especially the older episodes where the action took place on earth. There was always matter of fact Brigadier Generals with green jumpers with elbow patches who took in everything without flinching. Nobody was ever really freaked out by Cybermen walking the streets or blood thirsty space vampires.

Bring in the military, close the city and lets get on with it.

In Lifeforce, London is trashed by weird blue lights and a horny vampire alien. Everyone Peter Firth explains this too, seems ok with it. They don't even blink.

We saw this in Invasion Earth too. Which was great. Real end of the world stuff. But with no big freak out flag waving. Just clenched jaws and gritted teeth. We don't know what it is but we will blast the hell out of it.

Even early British sci fi was filled with this understatement and calm. From 'The Village of the Dammed' to the wonderful Quatermass series.
Quatermass and the Pit or Five Million Years to Earth, as I knew it had the British authorities unearth an ancient alien species with strange psychic abilities and nobody questioned this. Nobody blamed the Russians...no cold war paranoia. It was aliens. Right, better get on with it then. Call in the guard and get those green jumpers on.

We always giggle at these shows....Britain has been attacked by so many strange creatures over the years, that they are the pro's in this business. Torchwood must be real! It must be because of the two World Wars. The brits are so good at handling big things and work so hard at not making a big fuss about things....that this is how they react to even the weirdest of events.

If there is ever an alien invasion, I am moving to the UK. I think I would be much safer, despite the robots and blood thirsty aliens, or strange zombie viruses out and about.

Mind you, my husband pointed out that Canada is probably the safest place because in any movies about invasions or natural disasters, Canada never gets a mention. Nothing....I swear we must have some sort of force field that circles our country.....and keeps it out of internation news and notice from aliens!

4 comments:

Scotty said...

Hmmm, I can't remember if I've seen that one or not; I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Guess what I picked up in the bargain bin yesterday? Cherry 2000, starring a young Melanie Griffiths, former wife of Antonio Banderas - it only cost me $5.95. Woo-hoo!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Brigadier General Lethbridge Steewart was a great character in Doctor Who.

Kate S said...

LOL. I once thought of emigrating to Canada. Maybe I should start looking into it again.

stjarna67 said...

LIFEFORCE was a British film? I don't think I would have guessed that. I remember it being an average sci-fi film. The only thing I can remember about it now is that an alien who looked remarkably close to a naked woman walked around the whole film.

I call it an average sci-fi film because other films make it much easier to recall their plots.

One of my favorite films of all time is Time Machine, the movie made in the 1950s or 1960s, with the Morlocks. The remake a few decades later just wasn't the same...oh, and the original was naked-lady free.

-sj