Saturday, February 24, 2007

Star Trek Goes Old School

I had no idea anyone was even talking about making another Star Trek movie. Yep, it's being reported by the The Sci-fi Channel that J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost, Mission Impossible III) is going to write and direct Star Trek XI. Ending months of speculation, J.J. Abrams signed on to direct the next installment of the Star Trek feature-film franchise, sources told The Hollywood Reporter late on Feb. 23. Rumors had been circulating that Abrams, who is also co-writing and producing Star Trek XI, may have decided not to helm the film. But the trade paper confirmed that Abrams will helm Star Trek XI, which it added will revolve around a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, chronicling their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first space mission. Abrams and Paramount have declined to confirm that version of the supposed story. Abrams is the prolific co-creator/executive producer of ABC's Lost and directed Mission: Impossible III. He has been developing Star Trek XI through his Paramount-based Bad Robot production company. Abrams reportedly committed to directing the project only as of Friday evening, when the deal was finalized, sources told the trade paper. Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what to think of this. I don't particularly want to watch some sort of weird combo of Star Trek and Alias, so hopefully Abrams will contain his tendency to make everything some sort of convoluted mystery. Well, we'll see. But I am kind of liking the idea the the story goes back to Kirk and Spock. Do you think they'll have Shatner and Nimoy in cameo roles? Anyway, there appears to be a little bit of excitement being stirred up the making of this film. Already a Memory Alpha page has popped up about the film and contains a fair amount of information. (speculation?) So do you think this will actually get made?

13 comments:

jedimerc said...

I had hear this deals with their Academy days... it has been hyped enough, I see it getting made.

SQT said...

Has it been hyped? I guess I don't pay enough attention to sci-fi "news." I look up stuff when I'm looking for something to put on the blog, but other than that....

I see it getting made too, I just hope it's well cast.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Because we live in a land where originality is a curse word, I have to say yes. After all, Rocky came out of retirement. I keep waiting for the next Jaws, or maybe a remade version of the original with a CGI shark that can sing, dance and do Soduko.

Alex said...

Oh, dear gods on Olympus! The director of Mission Unentertaining II: Electric Boogaloo is going to direct the next Star Trek? What is this world coming to? How has the Star Trek franchise fallen so low?

*sigh*



BTW Sudoku Jaws cracked me up. I can see it now: "We're gonna need a bigger puzzle!"

DesLily said...

It figures they would decide this after Paramount went and sold off anything even remotely connected with Star Trek..

It's a shame they have locked Rick Berman out of the loop...and I wonder if Majel Barrett Roddenberry will still receive residuals as she has all the rights that Gene had to Star Trek and his name and anything he did.

I think the final casting will determine if I would go to see it or not.

I'm just glad that the sci-fi channel is reshowing "enterprise". I liked that series second only to the originals.. Next Gen gets 3rd billing for me lol

SQT said...

Deslily

I liked Enterprise too. The casting of the movie is going to be crucial I think. You'll get lots of trekkies that will automatically see it, but it'll only be good if the casting is believable.

Also, are we just going to see some weird Shatner imitation by whomever they cast. And who on earth is going to play Spock?

Old Knudsen said...

NO! I hate it when they go the early years route its such a cop out just to get the younger audience like when they made all the superheroes 'Ultimate' they just messed that whole franchise up let it die. If they make it I fully expect chicks in tight outfits and an animated space monkey for laughs.

cooltopten said...

The proof of this is going to be in the casting of the actors.I think the casting could make or break it.

DesLily said...

LOL I hadn't thought about the way Bill talks as to someone trying to imatate him.. sigh.. well as much as i loved De and Trek.. if I go it will be because of casting and story line..

as for Enterprise.. i'm not a huge Scott Bakula fan but he did ok.. i think the rest of the cast was really good.

Alex said...

Sheesh! What a bunch of sellouts! Buying into the Hollywood name game hype.

The story needs to be very good for this one, which is why it's a good sign Berman is out. All that guy ever did was wrench the previously established chronology around so that he could be cute with his pet project. You can't come into a previously established franchise and change things to suit your needs - each fantasy/scifi world has rules, a history, and a future that shouldn't be messed with. He did.

Anyway, I'll go see it. I'm not one of those ravening Trekkies who spend seven hours on makeup just to go to the theater and get laughed at by the normal folk. I do enjoy the movies, though, no matter how implausible the entire Star Trek premise is.

Crunchy Carpets said...

The 'OC' in space

Lee said...

Crunchy - Bwah-HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH!!

Marvin The Magnificent said...

Alex - Star Trek is no more implausible than real life, and just look how many people take that seriously.