Monday, January 29, 2007

Is This Weird, or Is It Just Me?

I was crusing the net in an attempt to find something to blog about, and I came across this in a Variety Magazine article. Pickup -- "Babylon Fields," an hourlong zombie-themed hour described by CBS as a "sardonic, apocalyptic American comedy-drama where the dead are rising and as a result, lives are regained, families restored and old wounds reopened." Gerald Cuesta and Michael Atkinson wrote the pilot and will serve as supervising producers. Michael Cuesta, who directed the pilot for "Dexter," will exec produce and helm via 20th Century Fox Television. A zombie themed comedy-drama?? What are the chances that this is going to last? CBS is apparently in a sci-fi/fantasy frame of mind though, they also picked up another show called "Twilight" that appears to be based on the P.N. Elrod series "The Vampire Files" though it isn't credited in the series description. Pickup -- "Twilight," a drama about a vampire/private eye who's dealing with the fallout from being immortal, his foes in the vampire world and a budding love for a mortal. Joel Silver is exec producing via Warner Bros. TV. Trevor Munson ("Lone Star State of Mind") and Ron Koslow ("Beauty and the Beast") wrote the script and will exec produce. Twilight is so close to "The Vampire Files," that if the series isn't credited I expect to see a lawsuit. Soon.

17 comments:

S.M.D. said...

How interesting, a different twist on the age old zombie flick lol, except this would potentially be a series. Kind of hope it will be successful. Never heard of something like that before.

The Curmudgeon said...

Zombie themed comedy-drama?

Like Night of the Living Dead? There was a real laugh a minute extravaganza --

I have two questions: 1. What are these people smoking? 2. Where can I get me some?

mist1 said...

I want to be in the zombie show. Even if it does get canceled. I have this zombie routine all worked out. I also have a lot of free time.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I guess they figure Shaun of the Dead was popular enough!

SQT said...

I had to look up Shaun of the Dead, I'd never heard of it. At least now I know why they thought they could sell the idea. I guess in a world the includes "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" anything is possible.

And like the Curmudgeon, I want what these people are smoking. (just kidding mom)

Crunchy Carpets said...

Oh..you have to watch Shaun of the Dead....it is amazing.
bleak and funny at the same time.

and if you can ever rent SPACED a series he did I highly recommend it.
He is a comic book artist and it is just hilarious..if you like weird brit humour.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A zombie comedy-drama is what we have been waiting for.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Shaun of the Dead is a great movie, you should definitely rent it.

A series about zombies does sound interesting. Maybe it'll be the next Buffy, or maybe it just won't work.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Dearest Lord,
Please stop them from doing anything else related to zombies, at least the George Romero clones. While I know some people might find it interesting, I think you and I, Lord, both know better. I don't want to see any more Romero zombies until at least the end of days. I'm not being unreasonable here, Lord.

What's that Lord? Yes, I know the whole Jesus thing was precursor to the zombie thing. Yes, I'm sure Jesus had a good time scaring the yokels, especially showing the holes in his palms and feet, but all that kidding aside...

What? Lazarus? Yes, another good example of a zombie, Lord. But in rethinking that miracle. I mean, after all, Lazarus died once. To bring back the poor schmuck and then let him face the prospect of death all over again seemed, well, cruel.

So Lord, please stop them from...what? What's that God? No, I didn't know Cheney was a zombie. I suppose it explains a good deal. That being said, please stop anybody from making any further zombie films. I can understand the indies, you have no control over them, but I'm talking corporate here.

DesLily said...

wow Stewart.. i didn't know you had a direct line to God! lol.. (excellent commenting)

SQT said...

Stewart I do believe you've had a theme going lately.

Here's hoping the Lord is listening.

ShadowFalcon said...

I think I'd watch just cos it sounds soo bizzare

Avery said...

I'm interested to see how they're going to do the zombie angle. Will they be the shambling, grunting kind? Or will the zombies be somewhat cognizant, aware on some level of their previous humanity? If it's going to be the Romero-esque, shambling kind, then it wouldn't interest me. But, if there's a bunch of living dead walking around, trying to eat their families while still somewhat aware that these people are related to them, it might be worthwhile to watch the pilot (despite the numerous opportunities that particular scenario presents for a massive train wreck of a show).

Steven Novak said...

Hmmmm...

Ya...

Don't think I'll be watching that one. ;)

Steve~

SQT said...

Avery, I agree. I won't be able to not watch this, if only for the train wreck potential.

Alex said...

I named my cat after a P.N. Elrond character!

(Please refrain from calling me a dork - I am aware, people.)

Alex said...

Stew's a Christian Democrat? Isn't that something like being a Muslim feminist?