Wednesday, December 13, 2006

In Tribute: Peter Boyle

One of my favorite movies is Young Frankenstein. It was the movie that introduced me to a wonderful actor by the name of Peter Boyle. He managed to bring humor and yet a sense of vulnerability to the Frankenstein monster of Mel Brook's classic comedy. Peter died Tuesday at the age of 71. I'll miss him. I used to see him all the time when I worked at Hollywood Center Studios, Everybody Loves Raymond was filmed on the same lot. I never wanted to bother him, so I never did more than wave hello as I walked by. I kind of regret that now. He never seemed like the type to be bothered by a friendly fan and he likely would've had some interesting stories to tell. So in appreciation to an actor I always liked, I'm putting this small tribute to him on my humble blog. May he rest in peace.

10 comments:

deslily said...

I loved him in Young Frankenstein or is that Fronk'n'stine?

It always hurts when we loose someone who's entertained us so well and for so long..

Mercurial Mike said...

You know, I loved his work, sad to see him go. I'm giving away my age, but I used to watch his father on Philly (Philadelphia ) TV introducing the Three Stooges on his afternoon kiddy show.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

sqt i loved him too. charlie is so much like him in so many ways in the raymond series, but nicer to me than he was to marie!! old men are a hoot! they aren't afraid to scratch if they itch. you gotta' love 'em!!! bee

SQT said...

I loved him on Raymond too. I think of him whenever I say "holy crap!"

Dorky Dad said...

That's a bummer about Peter Boyle. I loved him in YF, and he's just one of those actors you see everywhere. Sad.

On a brighter note, this is a great blog! Don't sweat the review. What do reviewers know, anyway?

SQT said...

Thanks DD (I just can't bring myself to call you Dorky Dad...)

Glad to have you stop by.

ShadowFalcon said...

I don't think I could have resisted talking to him.

The Curmudgeon said...

Ken Levine has a nice appreciation of Peter Boyle at his site today that you may like.

Sidney said...

He had a great role in "The X Files" too in "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose." I always loved his delivery in "Raymond," and I agree with everyone. He'll be missed.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness...I never realized that was the same guy...I always thought (When watching Everybody loves Raymond) the dad looked familiar. huh...well you'll have to forgive me I just recently came back to the world. (only to visit this time)