Thursday, November 09, 2006

Strange Music

When we think about science fiction and fantasy, we think about books, films, and gaming. But what about music? I'm not talking about the magnificent scores of such people as John Williams or Maurice Jarre. I'm talking about popular music. Allow me to offer three tunes that are solidly rooted in the genre. "Werewolf" by Five Man Electrical Band. It's a song about a rural American family tormented by lycanthropy. The oldest son has been running around the countryside, howling at the moon and mutilating sheep. The father is forced to set off into the night with a silver bullet. "2525" Zager and Evans. Science fiction prediction and some of the worst lyrics you've ever heard. Hey, it was 1969. "In the year 2525, if man is still alive, he may fawn." He may what? Fawn? "He'll pick his sons, pick his daughters too, from the bottom of a long glass tube..whoa whoa whoa." See what I mean? "Wooden Ships" Crosby Stills and Nash. Late 60's nuclear holocaust paranoia. After Armegeddon two soldiers from opposite sides come together and are forced to cooperate to survive. The lyrics don't get in the way here. They flow with a late sixties buzz. Want a brownie? So, what about you? What songs can you list that are steeped in genre? And only one Iron Maiden allowed.

9 comments:

SQT said...

The only songs that come to mind offhand are songs about Superman. Five For Fighting recently had a popular song called "Superman (it's not easy)" and Three Doors Down had a song called "Kryptonite."

There are more, but I'd have to look them up.

Btw, it's good to have you onboard Stewart!

Crunchy Carpets said...

Hey Stewart....cool!

I was thinking about this..wracking my brains here...

Ultravox's 'Dancing with Tears in My eyes'...only because the video was about a couple preparing for the big nuclear war that all us 70's kids feared.

Radio Gaga...Queens song with Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Styx...Domo Arigato, Mr. Robato

You know..pretty much ANY band from the 80's..the videos seemed all be about some sort of Post Apocalyptic world with torn clothing and face paint..thing Patti Smythe..'I am the Warrior'...Duran Duran's 'Wild Boy's....

Or what about Bowie...Ashes to Ashes, Ground Control to Major Tom, ...The Man Who Fell to Earth.

SQT said...

Oh, The Man Who Fell to Earth is a good one.

What about Puff the Magic Dragon? It is kind of questionable since there is the question of drug referenced. But they do mention a dragon.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

When you said "Werewolf" I immediatley thought of "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

And, uh, does everything by Gwar count?

Stewart Sternberg said...

Good choices. Here are some others that came to mind:

Rolling Stones--2000 Light Years From Home [a song about space travel]

Elton John--Rocket Man [a song about the loneliness of colonization]

Blue Oyster Cult--GODZILLA [a song about that tall, green and handsome thing]

Jimi Hendrix-- Astroman [a Jimi Hendrix riff on superheros]

Uriah Heep--The Wizard [a young man's encounter with magic in what appears to be a medievil setting]

and by the way SQT, Puff The Magic Dragon is a perfectly respectable entry.

Jon said...

"In the year 2525, man may FIND..."
I thought so, but I double checked on a lyrics page to be sure.

May I make an addition?

The Beatles...Imagine.JonZ314

Asara Dragoness said...

All this talk about wolves, reminds me of a song (I don't know who sings it), but it goes, "Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood, you sure are looking good, you're everything that a big bad wolf could want"
Let's see what other corny ones I can dredge up..

"Rock & Roll Creation" by Spinal Tap
"The Saga Begins" and "Yoda" by Weird Al Yankovic
"E.T." by Toy-Box
"The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennitt

That's all my brain is spawning right now, if I had my CD collection in front of me, I'm sure I could come up with more :)

Crunchy Carpets said...

Oooh...The Police - Wrapped around your finger - about a wizard and apprentice.

And Syncronicity 2 - with 'that dark Scottish Lake'

SQT said...

Oh, my husband loves Synchronicity II.

Many miles away something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.


I had to look it up to get it exactly right. Great song.