Sunday, November 05, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

I don't know about anyone else, but every once in a while I don't really like to admit to watching certain shows. I don't know why I would find anything embarrassing at this point, after all, it's not like I'm going to be taken seriously. But still.... My guilty pleasures are (or were since they're now in re-runs) Hercules and Xena. Hmmm, maybe the fact that my husband used to try to do the Xena yell every time it was on has something to do with my reluctance to watch it publicly... Regardless, I always got a kick out of both shows. They were campy, silly, totally mythologically inaccurate but so much fun. I always liked the fact that there seemed to be a sense of mischief and irreverence about the shows. Where else are you going to see a show that has the goddess Aphrodite rolling her eyes and saying "whatever?" The special effects were fairly awful. I'm not sure I've ever seen a less convincing centaur. But still, the shows had enough wit to keep me watching. And Xena had one of the best evil villainess ever in Callisto. Hudson Leick really seemed to relish playing Xena's psychotic nemesis. I developed a love of Greek mythology as a kid so stories that involve the Greek Gods appeal to me, accurate or not. And maybe that's why they ended up being a guilty pleasure. I don't get any points for scholarship in Greek mythology here. So, if you don't mind outing yourselves, tell me about your guilty pleasures. I promise not to tell anyone.

13 comments:

Lee said...

Hahaha! I don't know when Xena comes on but occassionally catch it...great hangover watching on lazy Sundays.

DesLily said...

hmmm I haven't come across Hercules reruns... where and when are they???? I've met Kevin, super nice guy.. loved that show! Michael Hurst was easy on the eyes too! lol

The Curmudgeon said...

I think I'll pass on sharing my guilty pleasures just now... but I did enjoy both Hercules and Xena when they were on.

Crunchy Carpets said...

Hubs and I LOVED Xena...we always watched it!

I think mine are movies like....

Any Doug McClure flick...specially At the Earths Core...it fills me with giddy joy.

Big Trouble in Little China....

and now it is (for us both)

Buck Rogers...we can't help but watch it and laugh and giggle...hubs says he HAS to buy te dvd's now.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I have to admit I like 'Wife Swap' on tv. The British version is always funnier.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I never really got into Hercules or Xena. My wife's been compared to Xena, though, so that should count for something.

SQT said...

I loved Buck Rodgers too, though I think my husband's interest was mainly in the spandex wearing Erin Gray.

Jon
The wife must be hot.

Lee said...

Oh I just remembered a guilty pleasure, one that's rather difficult to admit to...yes, yes, you guessed it...it's Hugh Grant movies. (Hanging my head in shame now)

Stewart Sternberg said...

I love amazons. Xena was a must-see. I also loved the hinted at lesbian relationship she had with her sidekick.

Regarding guilty pleasures, I have mine. Lots and lots of them. I'll share one: WWE--professional wrestling.

Gimme a "hell yeah"

okay, don't flame me. I lost control for a second.

SQT said...

I also loved the hinted at lesbian relationship she had with her sidekick.

You're not the only one who likes this aspect. Logo, which the gay cable channel, still plays Xena in reruns.

I don't know off hand where you can catch Hercules. I used to see it on Spike TV once in a while and occasionally on Bravo. The sci-fi channel runs shows like these all at once and then doesn't show them for a while. So it's hit and miss.

Peg said...

My guilty pleasure? Hmmm...don't tell anyone but sometimes I watch Days of our Lives. You can watch it once a month, once every six months and catch right up!

What? So it's not sci-fi! That's my husband's guilty pleasure...but I did want to thank you SQT, for popping in on my blog and leaving a comment!

Best,
Peg

Jon said...

Buck Rogers, yes! But I mean the Buck (and Flash) of the 30s and early forties. Buster Crabbe. Spaceships on strings long before Ed Wood.

Oh! And Ed Wood! You must see "Look Back in Angora" (a documentary) immediately before viewing "Ed Wood." Wonderful.

floacist said...

Ah but Hercules was so damn boring, Xena was much better, both show and character. And plus its Lucy Lawless. And that automatically makes it good. lol